The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Post-install; only one blog set up, not allowing others (3 posts)

1. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi;
    Boy, did I struggle with the install on WPMU but I thought I'd got there in the end. I've created an admin and another user who has their own blog!! How wonderful is that? I'm ever so pleased BUT THEN disaster - although I can create other users, and it appears that their blogs are being created (entries in wp-content/blogs directory, and confirmation emails) I can't get to their blogs at all in the web browser. The only possible reason as far as I can see is that I'm accessing them all from the same IP, but surely that can't be right.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong with this? I want users to be able to create their own blogs.

TIA

Dale

2. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

How's this for a quick fix? I realised what was wrong (I think) - that the first blog already had an entry in the hosts file on my local machine, so it resolved, but the others didn't. When I put the other blogs into the hosts file - bingo! It worked like a charm.

However - should I expect these to propagate around the web, or should I have done something to allow instant logins? As far as I can tell, to create an apache wildcard I've added the line ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld to my vhost.conf file, and created a dns wildcard by adding a *.domain.tld A entry in the DNS control panel in Plesk. Is there anything else I should do?

TIA
    Dale

3. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

OK I fixed it. Turns out I wasn't running my own nameserver on the domain (blush). When I set this up and gave time for it to propagate, all was well.

About this Topic