The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Object Cache Plugin (22 posts)

1. dronamraju
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I just found out about the object cache plugin via the wpmu feed plugin.
    Where do i get the MU version of the object cache plugin? Or do I get the normal wordpres plugin?

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's built in.

- Just create the wp-content/cache subdirectory and set it writable by the webserver.

- Add the following line to wp-config.php

define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

I also have to add it into wp-settings as well to make it work. You'll see the following line in there. Just comment it out and add in the above:

define('DISABLE_CACHE', true);

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't understand what you've say about the wp-settings, but all seems to be ok with the stuff in wp-config...

4. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can someone tell me if the information posted by drmike still applies and is the correct way of enabling the object cache?

I am on MU 1.5.1 and after having a look through wp-settings.php, I can't find this line...

define('DISABLE_CACHE', true);

Has this been moved somewhere else?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, it's no longer applicable.

Read the readme file that came with 1.5.1.

6. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks lunabyte,

So I simply copy these to my wp-content folder and I'm good to go? Nothing to enable?

1. Object Cache.
    These work by storing commonly accessed data in a rapid access storage
    container such as RAM or directly on the filesystem.
    To install these plugins copy them into your wp-content folder.
    Memcached: http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/memcached/trunk/
    Filesystem: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=14
    Xcache: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=12
    eAccelerator: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=13

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

The one you'll want is for the file system, unless you have memcached, xcache, or eaccelerator on your server.

If so, that would be the route to go instead.

8. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks! That's exactly the clarification I needed, thanks again!

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

so that means its either one or the others? file cache is not compatible with eaccelerator cache?
    I guess eacceleartor cache is preferred if eaccelerator is isntalled?
    can someone explain what improvement this plugin (eaccelerator) brings, bearing in mind that eaccelerator is already working on this server?

I know there have already been severall discussions on this, but I am not sure they covered my questions...

10. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

They all do the same thing, but one stores it within the file system where the others store the info in their own cache. Typically this is in RAM, which makes it much more efficient.

11. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

One more follow-up queston:

I have installed the object-cache.php file found in this plugin http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=14 into my wp-content directory and everything seems to be working fine.

My question is, is there any testing I can do to confirm if this is making a noticeable speed difference?

12. mickmel
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was wondering the same thing as awarner29

13. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there anyone here using eAccelerator object caching? I notice the WPMU site-wide feed plugin doesn't take the warning about "no object cache" if it is enabled. Only the file-based cache. Is it possible that warning doesn't disappear with the eAccelerator object caching or is that plugin just not working for me. It is enabled on my server.

Trent

14. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Trent: About to try the eAccelerator object caching now - so will let you know.

15. jasonkuter
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am using it and it does seriously improve performance. Thats great, however I am not longer able to access site admin functions with it enabled. Turn it off and its fine. Any clues?

16. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not sure. The one for xcache does the same thing.

17. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

I ask Computer Guru about it in their forums and he mentioned he might have time to look at eAccelerator and xCache plugins with WPMU at some point. They both rip away the site-admin privileges and I sifted through the code and can't figure out why for sure. The file based object cache is fine though.

Trent

18. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

We had some trouble with the Memcached cache extension not expiring/updating cached data. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
    Andrew

19. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've not had any problem with the site-admin functions - but then I'm not 100% sure the cache is actually working - and I haven't the time to investigate at the moment.

Which makes this a rather redundant post really - Sorry I'll go back to my corner now

20. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

The site-admin functions work just fine with memcached. It's the frontend we're having problems with. Basically if a comment is posted, the cache isn't cleared/updated.

Thanks,
    Andrew

21. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you talking about the memcached plugin that Ryan wrote 2 years ago Andrew or an updated version somewhere?

Trent

22. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm referring to the one Ryan wrote two years ago:
    http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/memcached/trunk/

Is there an updated version?

Thanks,
    Andrew

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by dronamraju
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits