The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

images in GPL'ed themes (5 posts)

1. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have a question about images embedded in GPLed themes, typically soe themes come with one or a bunch of header images the user can pick from.
    How does the license cover the redistribution of these images ?
    For instance, I'd like to make a single pool of all images available to my users for them to go pick in, gather them on a web page for them to pick from. Is that allowed ? Does the GPL apply to the image ? You can't really add a license to the image itself since most of the time it will just be downloaded by the browser, so what ?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's a pretty good question, really.

It would depend on the original license of the image maybe. I dunno.

Overall, I probably wouldn't concern yourself with it too much though.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The GPL should cover the images in the theme as well. It's up to the theme designer to make sure the images used are also GPL'd and some have found that out the hard way (based on past observations here).

If you really wanted to make sure, you could ask each theme designer. But that would be, you know, work... ;)

I do like your idea.

4. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually no the images can be licenced separately, as they are not reliant on the theme or wp to work.

However when a designer/coder releases a theme, the image must be their own to licence out, or they must have permission to do so.

I'm a lover of the Creative Commons licence myself.

If the theme designer releases a theme with images, but doesn't correctly state the licencing then I suppose you could assume you are free to do as you please however to be polite you could ask them, but after all it is their fault for not giving the appropriate licence information.

So in short, an image in gpl code, does not have to be GPL itself, but if the designer wants to place restrictions on his/her image they must do so from the onset.

5. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ohh there is also an FAQ @:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

About this Topic