The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Ec2 Fedora Server (12 posts)

1. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

I got MU working fairly easily on the Amazon Web Services Ec2 Fedora instance with mySQL and Apache2.

There are other posts on here that explain how to do the Apache2 set up.

I also got Dr Mike's parked domains method successfully working too - although I had to edit it manually because I don't know how to park domains on webmin/virtualmin.

The only dumb thing I did was forgot to change my php.ini file so that it had 64mb memory_limit.

When you're trying to install this causes the install process to time out or something so your database doesn't end up getting created.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Um, so you like want a cookie or something?

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Better watch those comments or they'll take away your moderator label. ;)

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh wait, that's right... Don't have one. LOL

I thought it was funny though. I mean, setting up MU isn't like rocket science, and since there wasn't any additional information to make it special... Why not poke a little fun? :D

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I take it then you haven't seen this:

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=12965

Regards,
    -drmike

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Niiiice.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

edit: I was so not impressed, I posted twice. :-/

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ah...

Hmmm, that fackin sucks.

I take it that is only on .com?

Talk about a slap in the face. :-\

9. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I'd prefer a half a cantelope or an espresso as opposed to a cookie thanks lunabyte.

With ec2 you can basically get a 1.7Ghz x86 processor, 1.75GB of RAM, 160GB of local disk, and 250Mb/s for $72 per month plus $0.18 per GB bandwidth. (Data transfer backup to S3 or within ec2 is free)

The cool thing is is you can back up your image to s3 amazons storage service. It takes a few minutes to launch a completely new instance. You only pay per hour for each instance. 10 cents per hour. So if traffic is busy on thursdays and fridays you can launch additional machines for those days then close them down for the quieter days.

My main reason for posting this was so that people with only basic computer skills like myself know that its reasonably straight forward to do a set up on ec2. I'm not offering advice here just info that some people might find useful.

Lunabyte, I'm guessing that your skills and ability are better than 95% (if not more) of people that try and do a wpmu set up in any form.

Anyway I found it easiest to use firefox ec2 ui to manage instances. If you're using windows I used WINSCP and putty for access.

So here's more info:

1. It's probably easiest to use the public ami Fedora 4 image with webmin/virtualmin installed

2. You'll need to install phpMyAdmin

3. Get the ip details of your instance from virtualmin under whatever virtual server you're going to be running the wpmu install from

4. Rather than setting up a nameserver I just used zoneedit.com for dns. You can stick some info in your local start up script - for more info visit here:
    http://www.ioncannon.net/system-administration/120/dynamic-dns-with-ec2-and-zoneedit/

5. For info about setting up wpmu on Apache2 check here:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2782&replies=8#post-16714

6. The fedora image with webmin/virtualmin has php.ini memory_limit set to 8mb or something so you'll need to change it to 64mb or whatever

7. You might also need to change your /var/named/chroot/var/named/yourdomain.com.hosts files to add the line

*.xxxxxxx.com. 14400 IN A xx.xx.xx.xx

Hmmm I did that in zoneedit.com.

Once you've got everything working back up your image to s3 and then register it with firefox e2 ui.

Use these commands to bundle up your image then send it to s3, then register it so that its available for instant relaunch in your private ami's:

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonEC2/dg/2007-01-19/bundling-an-ami.html

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Heh... I got both of those. ;)

Now see... that information will make much more sense to people, even if they don't fully understand it.

11. gpo1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Any update on step by step on this set-up a bit confusing?

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually gogrid did a write up on their blog about installing wordpress that was a decent read. I can't do a copy and paste this morning bit flipping through their blog is an interesting read. They offer cloud hosting as well. If you want to give them a try they offer a $50 credit. Send them a pre sales question and they'll send you back a coupon link for $100.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by honewatson
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe