The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Smarty Editor? (6 posts)

1. siforek
    Posted 16 years ago #

As briefly mentioned here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=743

I'm in need of a way to allow users to customize their theme as much as you would in regular WP, but keep things secure.

I am completely capable and willing to write this up, but is there an existing plugin that would get me started in terms of allowing users to change their theme?

Any help is appreciated. I'll contribute to all when complete.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Each user would have to have their own theme then, because all themes in MU are shared (or can be, depending on how you config it) between users.

Something that will eat up a lot of space if there are a lot of users. Not to mention, 99% of them don't have a clue about what they are doing anyway, else they would just install WP.

3. siforek
    Posted 16 years ago #

You've made a good point, but with close monitoring of resources I'm willing.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just me, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll have a nightmare on your hands, and quick. Not to mention security issues running rampant.

5. mark-k
    Posted 16 years ago #

siforek, I will actually like to have that as a plugin, but IMHO, the security issue is the major obstacle here. How can you prevent from a buggy theme to make changes to other users blogs by making changes to the DB?

The actual editing can probably be imported from WP, so it should not be too much of an effort once the security issue is handled.

lunabyte, I would give access to this kind of feature only to premium members, and this should reduce the amount of headache involved.

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have to see if this would work for just CSS editing.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by siforek
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp