The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

what is the most reliable wordpress blog host out there? (11 posts)

1. calantha
    Posted 16 years ago #

I currently have a blog on daria.be but today I found out it is being closed :(

What is the most reliable alternative wordpress mu host out there? I really don't want to go to wordpress.com, but I also don't want to have to move my blog again in a few months time.

Also, there are a lot of images in my blog, would they be imported automatically when I import my posts or would I have to upload them all again to the new host?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

WordPress.com obviously would be your safest choice.

Pretty much anywhere you go you will have to reupload images, and re-add them into your posts and such. It won't be pretty, so if you want peace of mind that you won't have to do it again, run to WordPress.com.

Then again, if you really don't want to go that route, you could always get your own domain and hosting account and just install WordPress.

3. calantha
    Posted 16 years ago #

So the only way I can have adsense on a wordpress blog is if I pay for hosting it myself? And, whatever happens, I'll have to upload my fifty or so images one by one?

That sucks. I guess I should have gone with blogspot in the first place.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pretty much.

As for adsense, expecting someone to give you something for free for you to make money off of is pretty selfish. Doc was a rare case, indeed.

I was going to offer up possibly hosting it for you, maybe getting a dump of your tables and a zip of your images from the Doc, but I ain't so sure about that now.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wouldn't pester drmike about anything wpmu related at the moment:
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=12965&page#post-93758

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I've been following it.

7. calantha
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think making snide comments about people just because they took advantage of a feature that was offered to them by their original host, and don't want to lose that feature, is totally unprofessional and out of line. My host lets me down, and that makes me selfish. Yeah, okay, whatever. I guess you have to stick together.

I admit I was stupid to be taken in by wordpress in the first place, but you win some, you lose some. Now if you'll excuse me, I have another bunch of posts to copy/paste to blogspot :)

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, sorry you feel that way. If it makes you feel any better, I got royally screwed over by WordPress staff as well. There were other issues as well.

Gotta also admit that I'm tired of these huge, multiple file upgrades that I have to do because Donncha is playing catchup all the time.

You may have noticed that I'm ditching wordpress as well and moving over to MT.

edit: And no note that I've given folks nearly a month to move. I could have shut down the whole site by now in about 2 seconds. Gotta admit that it was real tempting.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Snide?

Whatever lady. You're in the wrong place for that.

If you're upset, cool. But the way you came across was exactly that. "I want everything for free, so I can make money off it" is exactly the picture you painted.

Guess it's a tough pill to swallow when reality smacks you in the face.

I think Doc provided a very reliable service, and when it came time to close the doors, he was gracious enough to provide notice. As he said, he could have just cut it off.

As for "professional" and "out of line"...

Heh, I'm just a user with a fancy for the platform. My comments are my own, so if I call it how I see it, that's what you get. If you don't like it, sorry about your bad luck, it's a free country.

10. calantha
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike, I'm sorry for what happened to you, and thank you for at least letting me blog on your servers for seven weeks and giving us all enough time to move our posts elsewhere.

lunabyte, I'm sorry for whatever happened to you to make you the person you are.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Heh. I'm quite content, thanks.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by calantha
  • Latest reply from lunabyte