The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to block admin access (7 posts)

1. nic01ae
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

I had some unwanted previous experiences with the hackers so, because I use the admin account very rarely, I'd like to block admin access by changing (rename, delete) a file through FTP, or by phpMyAdmin (but not the password, it is useless), in order to be sure that the hackers will get no more access as admin, and to change it back when I need access as admin. Is it possible?

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not really since everybody signs in via the same page.

Why not just get a better password?

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you want I can send you a good one by email, guaranteed hackerproof :-) he,he,he

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are the hackers getting in as admin?

Are you sure they are getting in through the WPMU admin options?

If they keep getting your password then it would imply that they've got a way in somewhere else (like by connecting to your Database or shell account)

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

On this subject though, it "sure would be nice" if one day WP finally opened their ears to the tickets that express desire for the initial admin account to be able to have the name selected when created.

Other than that, you "could" instead just change it in the DB, and then make sure at the same time you change the site option for it.

I dunno if it's completely easy as that, but it might be.

However, if they keep getting your password, you've been hacked in some other form, or they have a program infecting your computer that is sending them updates.

6. nic01ae
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

They get admin access, but I am not sure that they did it by guessing the password. They did it two times. Unfortunately they did not too much harm, but I am not sure next time i will have the same luck. I do not want to change the password or use a better one. All I want is that, even if they know the password, to not be able to use the admin account without having access through FTP (I want the admin account disabled by changing or deleting a file through FTP, and enabling it, when I need it, by using FTP only. This way i am sure that the hackers will be no more able to hack my blogs).

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU doesn't handle FTP, so you may want to contact your host.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by nic01ae
  • Latest reply from lunabyte