The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

HOWTO Spam Numerous WPMU sites using minimal effort (7 posts)

1. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I looked briefly at the log regarding a few spamblogs to see if there were any remotely interesting information and I noticed this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+blog+you+were+looking+for%22+%22exist+but+you+can+create+it+now%22&hl=ru&lr=&start=240&sa=N

The strings searched for are apparently

"The blog you were looking for" "exist but you can create it now"

It is apparent that spamming criminals are using those two default strings to find blogs they can spam. These strings will typically find blogs that once existed who have been deleted, which may make those subdomains better places to put spam. Regardless, that's two more of the default strings which should be changed to something else to prevent spam..

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I thought we had covered this already and I had made the suggestion that this phrase be changed every so often. I can't find the thread though. I got this a fair amount since I deleted my spam blogs after about a month or so.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I delete them the second they post a spam.

4. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i give them 24 hours to get a topic relevant post up and then i delete and ban them. from the time i get the email saying a new blog has been created, i give them 24 hours to post something sports (my theme) related.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed, wholeheartedly on that one.

I've had all kinds of weirdo's sign up. They weren't really spammers, but far from on topic of the site.

How a 3400 pound stock car relates to chains and whips is beyond me.

6. darnold
    Posted 16 years ago #

I was really just testing the multi user blog and forgot it was even install for a long time. When I went back to do some more with it I found over 300 blogs had been created. Looking a little deeper I found the blogs where getting created through a bot and many had a last updated time only one second from the time registered. So tonight I wrote a little script that queries the db and finds all the blogs that have an update time stamp of 1 second after the registered time. The script sets all the blogs it find to spam and then removes all the spam blogs from your site.

I put the source code on a page to share with everyone.

http://mu.ourfriendsrock.com/wp-includes/cleaner.html

Save the source code in a .php file and upload it to your wp-includes folder. Then browse to it for the script to run.

Let me know how it works for you. I added a cron job to my site that runs this script daily so I don't worry about spam bots getting me any more.

7. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Answered under your other thread.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by xiand0
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp