The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

security issues in subdirectory vs. root install (12 posts)

1. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

I do not have a dedicated server. My host will set up wildcard DNS and is generally quite willing to configure to my needs. But he is adament that WP/WPMU or any "complex" CMS needs to be installed in a subdirectory and not the root, or all kinds of horrible things will happen.

Is he right or what can I tell him about security precautions within WPMU in a shared environment?

He nearly hit the roof when I said that I had set permissions on the public html directory to 777 temporarily for the install. I didn't see anything about changing the permissions back but surely this is the case?

Any help appreciated.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU will not function properly in a subdirectory.

Yes, chmod the root back to 755 after install.

3. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks. Besides that, what about security issues?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Meaning is there any difference between a root directory and sub directory install in terms of security?

No. Your "host" is not correct.

5. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks. I didn't think so, but I'm just barely able to install programs that smart people make, and don't know squat about servers, so really wanted a definitive answer. Why do hosts say stuff like this to their customers. Making their services seem scary surely can't be good for business!

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

To be honest, they probably don't know any better. Which, IMHO, would scare me straight to a major, reputable host.

Think about their "statement".

"...any 'complex' CMS needs to be installed in a subdirectory and not the root, or all kinds of horrible things will happen."

The bad thing is that it isn't exactly a difficult thing to put up a box and call yourself a host these days, or resell someone else's space and say you're a host. With a bare minimum knowledge of things underneath such as Linux, apache, etc.

Scary, scary world out there.

7. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just to be clear, the only direct quote in my paraphrase was "complex". He did go into more technical detail about the so-called dangers, but according to what you're saying, that's a moot point.

Anyway, I'm reinstalling at root and if he doesn't like it, I will find another host as you suggest.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually you can install wpmu into a subdirectory. You're just going to have to do subdirectories off of that. (ie mydomain.tld/wpmu/username)

Gotta admit though I'd ask your host to point at specific security issues and see what they say.

9. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Above, lunabyte says, "MU will not function properly in a subdirectory."

But apparently that means it will not create subdomains with wildcard DNS, but will "function properly" to have multiple blogs in virtual subdirectories, after choosing that option at install.

I return to my original impression, that this issue is extremely muddy around here, for newcomers, anyway.

Regardless, I now I have it working on my site's root, and I'm thrilled with it so far, and very grateful to all who work on it.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You are trying to install it so that you can have username.domain.tld.

Therefore, installing in a subdirectory isn't an option.

If you "wanted" to go the subdirectory method, domain.tld/username, MU could be in a subdirectory "technically", but MU has a tendency to act funny when installed in subdirectory mode.

11. erdba
    Posted 16 years ago #

my solution is:
    update domain, path field on wp_site table are following: domain="www.domain.com/subpath", path="/".

and everything works fine.

12. Arlo Gilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you have the detailed instructions for this erdba?

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by peacearena
  • Latest reply from Arlo Gilbert