The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Park domains on subfolders (6 posts)

1. darioshanghai
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,
    my ISP won't allow me to edit httpd.conf to let me install WP in the subdomains mode. I want to use MU to install several sites, so my question is: can I park domains on subdirectories instead that on subdomains? How?

Do you have any advice about doing it this way (on a WHM/Cpanel install)?

Thank you.
    Dario

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Haven't tried it actually and i don't recall it comeing up before. Have you tried it?

Gotta admit that I would be looking for a new host though. Wildcards is a fairly easy thing to do. Even the cpanel docs tell you how to do it.

3. darioshanghai
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,
    I haven't tried, but I don't want to change host. I want to know if it is possible for MU to drive sites in subdirectories with domains parked on them (if it is possible to park domains on subfolders) and how.

Thanks.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well domain mapping/ hosting is discussed here. You may want to review that thread to get you started. Do note that it's done with subdomains. Not sure if it'll work with subdirectories. You may want to give it a try.

5. darioshanghai
    Posted 16 years ago #

Solved. I used this procedure:
    1) Park the domain on top of main MU site (via CPanel)
    2) Create a voice containing the parked domain in the database table wp-sites
    3) Create the blog via wp mu admin interface
    4) Enter "edit" mode for the blog in the Site Admin -> Blogs page
    5) from the edit page, substitute the addresses mydomain.com/blog with parkeddomain.com
    6) still from blog edit page, erase the "Permalink Structure" line, or archive/categories pages would show 404 error or signup page instead of their right content.

Now trying to find a way to disable the "create new blog" feature, to allow users to only register as subscribers.

6. propub2
    Posted 16 years ago #

darioshanghai, thanks for this, excellent step-by-step instructions! I had the same issues with directories vs. subdomains.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by darioshanghai
  • Latest reply from propub2