The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can MU replace a social network sites blog module (20 posts)

1. pstar
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am building a soc net site and was wondering if MU could serve as the blogging section for members. I curious to know if it would be to difficult to close off some of the open source elements because I do not want people messing wih js and other coding since I am not running a typical blog hosting service. Anyone have suggestions if MU is no the best choice. In short, could myspace or friendster use MU for blog section or not?

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

yes.

3. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Preety much. It's open source so even if it's not a perfect fit, you can modify it and rewrite the code that you need.

4. pstar
    Posted 16 years ago #

Know of any sites that do this. i noticed that friendster implmented TP from sixapart but looks complicated.

5. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check out chick speak
    http://www.blazenewmedia.com/articles/chickspeak-a-wordpress-mu-based-social-network
    http://chickspeak.com/

Hope this is what you're looking for,
    Richard

oh, I found this originally via Matt's blog

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can't really give you an exact answer as it really depends on what you specifically need. Best bet would be to sit down and work out on paper what your plans are, install mu on a testbed, fiddle with it, figure out where it's lacking, and work out a plan with either yourself doing the coding or via contacting a developer or consultant.

http://automattic.com/services/wordpress-consultants/

7. pstar
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the advice. I am toying with the mu code. i cant seem to find a soc net that uses MU as the blogs, However, friendster blogs are powered by typepad.com blogs. not much info on implmentation re: typepad/friendster.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/ for one.

Again you may want to figure out what specifically mean by "social net" Are you planning on adding in additional functions? Is the wpmu install just going to be a site within your social site or the main part of it? etc.

9. pstar
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, MU will serve as the blog section of member section of soc network. Picture myspace as is and they replace their blogs with WPMU so everyone could have a wp blog.

Thx

10. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

That sounds like to me to be mu with a couple of custom plugins thrown in.

11. BillDexter
    Posted 16 years ago #

I plan setting up a student community based on WP. I saw ChickSpeak and liked it a lot. What files would I have to change?

12. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bill, do us a favor and read this thread. Same responses apply. Especially the one that starts with "Can't really give you an exact answer..."

13. BillDexter
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm new to php, wp and the whole social network community.
    Drmiketemp, this kind of attitude is really uncalled for. If you have an answer, please share it. If you don't have any answer, don't reply. Thanks!

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

He did have an answer and he did direct you to it. What files do you need to change? It depends on what you want to do. If you want to have it look/work *exactly* like another site, you'd have to get *really* familiar with the software first, study how it works and more importantly - maybe ask the originating site owners.

What's really a bad attitude is someone coming in and expecting step-by-step FREE directions for something that is quite an extensive and personalized mod.

15. BillDexter
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, I apologize for my previous comment to Drmiketemp's reply, must've been a rough day at work, and I'd like to apologize to the whole WP community for being such a naive person. I will contact the developer and most likely post the answer here.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you.

17. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

must've been a rough day at work,

Thanks for assuming that I'm still at fault for your rudeness. You could (and should have) left that out. Do you want a response? I can think of a couple that I know you wouldn't like. I have manners though.

Please take a second and read the readme text file that's included within the zipped download. The warning and suggestions are there for a reason. You mention that you're new to PHP. Chances are WPMu is not for you.

If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.
    It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst.

That warning is there for a reason.

The first thing your developer is going to do is make you sit down and work out what you want. Just pointing at another website isn't going to work and may get you into a fair amount of legal trouble. I would do that first before talking to your developer.

18. BillDexter
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alright, Drmiketemp, my personal apology to you. Please don't take it personal. Thanks for the reply.

19. ColourDreamer
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am building this right now and it's working really great so far. I'll let you know!

20. ColourDreamer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pstar, I recommend you plug MU to be your MAIN site as well, so that the logins are seamless.

It can be done.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by pstar
  • Latest reply from ColourDreamer