The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Some Issues to be cleared before Install Process (6 posts)

1. kranti
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello Gentlemen,

I am a bit lost on some technical details regarding installation. Here are some issues.

1} Make sure a line like the following appears in your httpd.conf - LoadModule
    rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so

- I want to know where exactly is the location of this file. If it is on my server, do i need to contact my site admin for the changes. Or do i do it myself.

2} In the <Directory> directive of your virtual host, look for this line "AllowOverride None" and change it to "AllowOverride FileInfo Options".

I want to know the location of this file. Where exactly i can find it on the virtual host. A path to the location can be very helpful.

3} In the <VirtualHost> section of the config file for your host there will be a line defining the hostname. You need to add the following if you want virtual hosts to work properly: "ServerAlias *.domain.tld" Replace domain.tld with whatever your one is, and remove the quotes.

- I would like to know the location and path of this config file.

4} If you want to host blogs of the form http://blog.domain.tld/ where domain.tld is the domain name of your machine then you must add a wildcard record to your DNS records.

- I want all my blogs to be in subdirectories. Do i need to skip this step?

5}There is a whole lot of PHP instructions as well. Can anyone please specify just the exact path to the files that requires to be changed.

_________

Please specify whether I need to perform the above changes or I send this trac. to my server admin for him to implement the changes.

If i need to do it, than a specific path to the files that are required to be altered should be very helpful.

I think it would greatly reduce the pain of installation for novices like us.

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"If i need to do it, than a specific path to the files that are required to be altered should be very helpful.

I think it would greatly reduce the pain of installation for novices like us. "

MU is server level software. It requires advanced knowledge of things like servers, apache, mysql, php, etc.

From the readme file:

"If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst."

Not to be mean, but this isn't a bug or something that needs to be reported to Trac.

If you don't have the basics, or even know how to find such simple things as apache's configuration file, or know what a virtual host is, MU probably isn't the best choice you could make right now.

There are no specific paths for these, as each server and distro of Linux can differ. So, there isn't any way that someone can provide a complete cut and paste set of directions for someone who doesn't have the right knowledge level to run the software.

Unfortunately, this software requires advanced skills, and the instructions reflect this in not only saying it up front, but also through the manner in which they are written.

If you did manage to get it running, you would find a severe lack of documentation for things you may consider important. However, as this is by design, you would end up way over your head because most of the obvious things to someone with the right knowledge just aren't discussed.

Keeping that in mind, there isn't any hand holding in the support forums, and you would probably end up even further frustrated.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's just how it is. At least you're getting the truth.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please contact your host for assistance. We don't know the setup of your box and can't guide you. Also without knowing what OS and hosting backend you're running, all we can do is make guesses. Every setup is different. Every OS is different.

You can skip step 4 and not sure what php instructions you're looking at. I'm not familiar with any php commands and don't see any in the readme.txt file that's included within the download.

Please also remember that Wordpress Multiuser is not for novices. A general understanding of wordpress is required along with a basic knowledge of hosting, php, mysql, OS commands (like 'find') and the like. We don't mind helping novices but please release that if you open up your site to the public, you will be asked technical questions (Well, not that technecial. Same idea though) like the ones that you ask here. Please give some thought about what you're getting yourself into.

Good luck,
    -drmike

4. kranti
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey Thanks lunabyte and Drmike.

I think i need more education on this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hold on, Kranti, if what you say is true:

- I want all my blogs to be in subdirectories. Do i need to skip this step?

Simply proceed with a non-vhosts install.

If you can keep a normal wordpress install running bug-free, WPMU in a no vhosts(subdirectory-type blog urls) is most similar.

6. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you can keep a normal wordpress install running bug-free, WPMU in a no vhosts(subdirectory-type blog urls) is most similar.

I agree. Don't give up so quick....a no-vhost, subdirectory install isn't difficult to manage. The install may be tricky depending on a lot of variables like has already been pointed out, but once you get past the initial install, then things get pretty simple for someone who is already familiar with WP.

As the Chief in the Outlaw Josey Wales said..."Endeavor to persevere". :-)

Steve

About this Topic