The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Waiting for..... (6 posts)

1. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Got a bit of an odd one here.

Sometimes (usually when I visit my blog for the first time in a day, or a few hours) it takes a long time for the page to appear. Firefox shows "waiting for..." on the bottom status bar. Checking on the server shows no activity.

Once the front page loads it its fine and the pages display with no noticable delay.

So I'm guessing this is a DNS issue - is there anything "easy" I can do to investigate / resolve the problem?

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually it's probably the AJAX javascripts clashing. Clearing the borwser's file and cookie cache should probably fix it. That's one of the reasons why you see version numbers within the URLs of the javascripts on wordpress sites.

Got a link though so we can double check? We might see something that you may not of.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well I've been doing some digging round / playing with configurations.

Disabling Zend Optimizer makes no difference
    The state of the wp-cache makes no difference
    Stopping/Starting Apache 2 (pre-fork) makes no difference.

Once you are in the blog time to first byte (as reported by the Lori FF plugin) is great with times like 0.02 seconds on the internal network.

If I'm in the Admin back end and I click on the View Site then the front page comes with with a very small TTFB. If I then click on Refresh the TTFB then it immediately goes up to > 1 second.

So is it down to PHP sessions?

EDITED To add:

Its the gzip compression which was turned on in the httpd.conf. Turn it off and TTFB drops through the floor!

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've spent more time on this today.

Its a trade off between TTFB and download size.

Compression on - increased TTFB (1.1 seconds) decreased download (37K)
    Compression off - decreased TTFB (0.4 seconds) increased download (65K).

That's on Apache 2.0.48 with the deflate set to the default gzip level.

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Update :

Bit embarrassing really. I'd rebuilt PHP and in all the work the memory limit got pushed down to 32M.

I've put it back up to 64 and now TTFB is never more than 0.7 of second even with compression on.

I wasn't getting any errors reported so it obviously didn't exhaust memory but.....

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"but..."

Every little bit helps, right? ;)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by SteveAtty
  • Latest reply from lunabyte