The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Best of both worlds? (6 posts)

1. WWDay3
    Posted 16 years ago #

First, right up front, I'm trying to load this with GoDaddy. (I really don't understand the vehement reactions to GoDaddy here, since I haven't had any major problems with them. The prices are reasonable, they offer a lot of stuff I like, and I've never had issues with their CS. True, sometimes it takes a couple of contacts to resolve something, but where isn't that the case?)

I've accepted the fact that I won't be able to use the MU dub-domain facility, and that really doesn't bother me. In fact, since many of the blogs I create will be mine and mine alone, the sub-directory option make it look more like a regular site with many different topic pages.

However, I do have a need for a few sub-domains to point to specific sub-directories. As in topic.domain.com point to domain.com/topic. I tried using the domain manager to create the sub-domains pointing the the virtual sub-directories, but that did not work. Instead it made both the topic/domain.com and domain.com/topic not work (the first a not authorized error and the second not found).

Is there another way to do this? I noticed when I added the sub-domain using the domain manager, the names were automatically added to the 'A' records in the DNS manger. Can I add these sub-domains instead as CName aliases? If so, where would they point?

Thanks,
    Wally

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

where isn't that the case

Many places actually. The issue with GoDaddy is they think that their way is the correct way even though it goes against many of the RFCs, ICANNs own rules and accepted methods that govern the internet. There's also a lot of evidence that show that if you get a domain joejob'ed via a spam run, they take the domain away from you and make you pay a fee even if you had nothing to do with the spam run.

I will mention though that I believe that GoDaddy's AUP prevents you from "subleasing" out accounts like you would be doing with MU. You may want to check on that as it depends on what level of account you have with them.

As to the repointing of subdomains, I made mention of how to do it in another thread this morning. It took a bit to get the forum software to display it correctly so you'll have to forgive me if I just point you to that thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5831

Not sure about the DNS manager (I don't use GoDaddy so I coudln't tell you how it works and probably shouldn't as I don't want to tell you soemthing incorrectly.) so i would just suggest the above method.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. WWDay3
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks. I'll try that.

4. WWDay3
    Posted 16 years ago #

One more question. I've read a multitude of posts regarding "who is the best host for MU", and I've come away with nothing but confusion. It's amazing how many people say "XYZ host is the cat's pajamas", and the next post says "XYZ host is the spawn of Satan" (I exaggerate, of course - but not much).

So, let me rephrase the question. I've worked with DotNetNuke for many years. There are hosts who actually claim to be DNN platforms - auto install, full support, and so on. So, are there any hosts who similarly advertise being Wordpress MU platforms?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not really, because MU isn't really intended for shared hosting, and it usually breaks their TOS in one way or another.

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pretty much. I wouldn't go with anything less than a reseller account or a true VPS. (I put them on regular accounts with my own hosting but I don't offer reseller accounts and allow wpmu and other multiuser software under my ToS.)

Do a search here for synhosting for the previous threads on teh topic. synhosting is no currently taking any more reseller accounts but it will find you the threads.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by WWDay3
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp