The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

someting.ie - mu and bbpress (6 posts)

1. somethingie
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU and bbPress combined with some hacks to make a community of communities in Ireland.

http://www.something.ie

Bloggers can select which community their blog gets linked into.
    Also has the ability for users to have favourite groups (blogs), etc. and get notification updates.

love to here your thoughts on this....

2. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

How did you do bbPress integration?

3. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just for reference, the home page took awhile to load. Not the actual page but the lookup of where the domain is. I did an A record timing and it looks like you may be having issues with your ns1 dns server. You may want to look into this or contact your host.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=something.ie&type=A

For me, it took about 600-1200 msecs for ns1 (and ns3) to respond. Anything over 80 msecs is rather excessive. (ns2 worked fine though. That was usually 1msec and never over 5msecs.)

edit: Actually looks like it may be passing the buck on the lookup. You may want to get your domain registar to use the actual names of teh nameservers instead of doing forwarding:

Searching for something.ie A record at a.root-servers.net Got referral to NS3.NS.ESAT.NET. [took 36 ms]
    Searching for something.ie A record at NS3.NS.ESAT.NET. Got referral to ns3.novara.ie. [took 121 ms]
    Searching for something.ie A record at ns3.novara.ie. Reports an answer.

reedit: Looks good though now that I've poked around. I like how you did the categories. Are you doing that manually or having folks register within certain categories?

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

4. divrom
    Posted 16 years ago #

The groups is an excellent feature!

Do you mind me asking how you did that? Is it site-wide categories? I notice that users can create their own groups, so I'm frankly a bit baffled!

Nevertheless, good work.

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Looks like a manual version of sitewide tags. (The links on the front page are hardcoded but they lead to tag pages.) May want to search the forums for that as it's been discussed before.

6. somethingie
    Posted 16 years ago #

hi divrom,

groups are essentially blogs, but we call them groups because they are intended to be used by groups and they come with other features such as discussions, events, photos, etc. (all of these are not 100% right now, but thats the plan)

Everything in the site sits on wpmu and we use that for authentication, etc. Each location such as http://something.ie/cork is a blog with a customised theme that pulls in news/events/discussions/etc from Cork (hardcoded sql for now).

In the admin panel for each group blog we enable admins to select the community they wish to be associated with and from there everything they do is linked. We added some extra location fields to the blogs table to do this.

Features such as events or photos are straight php applications that we wrote that sit alongside wpmu and use wpmu for authentication.

discussions are bbpress with the the bbpress/wpmu integration plugins applied.

That said, it looks like site-wide tags could have saved me some effort.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by somethingie
  • Latest reply from somethingie