The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Turning Fancy URL's OFF (10 posts)

1. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

My host says that for the blog system to work, I need to turn fancy url's off. Right now, when I try and make a new blog it says "Object Not Found" so the blogs aren't being created.

Is there a config file somewhere in the system where I can turn fancy url's off?

Thanks!

Christian

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Your host is giving you a line. Chances are they're telling you that because they don't have mod_rewrite turned on and/or they don't want to turn it on. There's not a config file for this either since mod_rewrite is a requirement for the software.

To be honest, your only option besides going elsewhere is to install the software as a subdirectory install. You're also going to have to edit the file wp-admin/upgrade-schema.php and change:

add_option('permalink_structure', '/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/');

to:

add_option('permalink_structure', '');

One last thing to do. You're also going to have to get rid of the file wp-admin/options-permalink.php so that your end users can't make permalink changes.

And even then I'm not sure if it would work. I can't remember if it's the apache modifications or mod_rewrite that does teh subdirectories.

Gotta admit though that I question your host. If they're telling you that, then they also don't support regular wordpress among many other softwars out there. mod_rewrite is commonly used in many programs.

Good luck,
    -drmike

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Doc, still gotta have mod_rewrite to bring up:

domain.tld/username/

No mod_rewrite, no MU.

Time to find a new host.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Doc, still gotta have mod_rewrite to bring up:

That's what I was thinking at the end of my post there.

I'd love to know what is going on in this host's mind. Do they not have mod_rewrite turned on for security reasons or do they just not support wordpress at all.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Beats me, Doc. It's tough to tell what's going through half these hosts minds.

Who was it (sorry for forgetting your name, whoever it was) that admitted to working for one of "those" hosts that offer the moon, but kick you for trying to use it? Pretty much substantiates everything we've discussed in terms of those types of hosts.

"Yep, we offer crazy disk space and bandwidth, but if someone even gets close to it we shut them down."

While you could call it false advertising, which it is, it's the TOS that saves their backside.

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

heyguy

I get a fair amount of crud from new users who see the 1gig/100gig bw I offer for a standard account compared to entire hard drives others offer but we're fair and flexable with it. And, i only have a dozen folks at or over those limits.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Doc. That was the exact one I was thinking of.

Still, what most folks don't realize is how much space a website really uses.
    For most sites out there, 500M is plenty, with 5G of bandwidth. Granted, with downloads, podcasts, etc, it varies, but we're talking averages.

Which, "those" hosts are betting on the averages, obviously, knowing full well that most accounts won't breech those limits. Then, if they do, and get to a level they consider unreasonable, they have their TOS to fall back on and kick em off.

If there's one thing I've really hoped for for the industry, it's been ethics. As it is now, if you have them, you're screwed because some idiot is there and ready to make "these claims".

The downside, is that "most" end users don't understand it, and all they see is what the "so called" limits are. Needless to say, they get duped, which is sad.

8. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just convinced my hoster to add mod_rewrite to my website. They will be able to do it within the next couple of days. So at least the blogging system will be running shortly!

Cheerful Trails,

Christian

9. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Another question that I do have is this:

If I were to install my blog as a subdomain system, but in a different folder, would the blogs look like this:

http://www.blog1.websitenamehere.com/blogs

Because that just seems like at that point you might as well do subdirectories like:

http://www.websitenamehere.com/blogs/blog1

Thanks!

Christian

10. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I were to install my blog as a subdomain system, but in a different folder, would the blogs look like this:

If you were to install the software into a subdirectory and try to run subdomains off of it, they would look like this:

blog1.websitenamehere.com/blogs

That will probably also give you a broken install as well as cookies would not be able to work.

Please note the use of the 'www' in there is incorrect as the 'blog1' takes the place of it.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by hhuskies
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp