The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving WPMU to another host possible? (5 posts)

1. toshiee
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi everyone,
    I am going to open a wordpress mu site, but for now I use a shared hosting plan. Is there any risks to move WPMU to another hosting (dedicated)? And is it just backup the folders and mysql database?
    Regards
    toshieee

2. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just backup the folders (or scp or rsync, do make sure you get the permissions stored also) and dump the mysql database and set it up on a new db server and give whatever host(s) (probably just localhost) permission and setup apache and change DNS and done.

I've moved several WPMU installations from one server to another and it's no problem.

However, I have noticed that some Linux distributions don't install some PHP packages like php-gd (which really isn't needed by WPMU itself afaik, but it required for the profile picture plugin) and php-xml (which is requird by a rare Norwegian language plugin I use). If you make sure you install everything you need and setup the dedicated server correctly then moving WPMU is no problem.

3. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Most hosting software (ie cPanel, Direct Admin, Ensim, etc.) have a method of backing up a site. That would be the prefered method. Best bet would be to get with your host(s) and ask them how to do a complete backup and then how to import it at your new site.

4. toshiee
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks for your help!

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not a problem :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by toshiee
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp