The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Install Error: undefined var: err (14 posts)

1. jeslick
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok...stumped.

PHP Notice: Undefined Variable: err in [path]/index-install.php on line 173

2. jeslick
    Posted 16 years ago #

additional info

Mysql5, php5, installed as root directory (ie. site.this.com).

I get the initial page, but on load of index.php, index-install.php gives the error mentioned above. If submitting info, nothing happens as the original page (install) is errored...

Looked through everything I could find. Re-read all the install info and README...nada. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

3. joshualyon
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am getting the same error warning on a local Xampp install.

The next page gives me the following errors, but tells me the installation has finished.
    Notice: Constant DB_NAME already defined in C:\xampp\htdocs\wpmu\wp-config.php on line 4

Notice: Constant DB_USER already defined in C:\xampp\htdocs\wpmu\wp-config.php on line 5

Notice: Constant DB_PASSWORD already defined in C:\xampp\htdocs\wpmu\wp-config.php on line 6

Notice: Constant DB_HOST already defined in C:\xampp\htdocs\wpmu\wp-config.php on line 7

Notice: Constant VHOST already defined in C:\xampp\htdocs\wpmu\wp-config.php on line 10

4. joshualyon
    Posted 16 years ago #

I should also note that when trying to login, I get redirected to the login page again with the following parameter in the URL:
    http://kp-37kx3/wpmu/wp-login.php?action=auth&redirect_to=%2Fwpmu%2Fwp-admin%2F

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Josh, it sounds like you manually edited your config file. You didn't do that, did you?

If so, please delete it, replace it with the one in the download, take a second and read the readme file included within the download and please try again.

6. paulharwood
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am installing on redhat, with apache - still get this error:

checked the logs and it just gives - PHP Notice: Undefined variable: err /[path to my script]/index-install.php on line 173

I haven't done anything unusual, this is the third time I have removed the wp-config.php file and tried a reinstall. But I am guessing this has nothing to do with it.

Interestingly line 173 and the code around that talks about permissions. I have set the wpmu directory and the subdirectories to 777.

I tried filling in the install form anyway and on submission it asked me to download index.php.

I checked the mysql database I had set up and it was completely empty, so the script must have failed before inserting the table data.

Any Ideas?

I am running Iceweasel on debian btw (client not server)

7. paulharwood
    Posted 16 years ago #

duplicate post...

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"PHP Notice: Undefined variable"

A notice is absolutely nothing to worry about. It's a notice, not a warning.

It happens, but they are harmless notifications, not an actual error.

Be Warned...

If you see these errors on a live site, that means errors are being reported to the screen as well as the logs. This is a bad, bad security violation, and on the shoulders of the server owner.

Errors should never be printed to the screen, except in development environments for testing purposes.

9. paulharwood
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Lunabyte,

This error was copied from the server logs not from the screen, the PHP notice was just for info purposes.

And I followed the instructions to the letter when installing, the actual sceen arror once the wizard has finished is

No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

I can't work out:

1. Why the error is happening (line 173) and what this has to do with the "err" variable in the code
    2. why i get asked to "download" the index.php file the install form submits to
    3. Why there is no data in the database once I have submitted the install form
  10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK. That's come up before a few times.

Try a search from

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/search.php for:

No WPMU site defined on this host

11. paulharwood
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have looked through all of those solutions to no avail, nothing there talks about this error on line 173 being generated, or at least the ones that mention it do not have a solution

12. paulharwood
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok... I missed some of the install stuff about the php configuration.

I think this was to do with the memory limit set by php - I increased that to 64m in the php.ini

I also set the display_errors to off in php.ini (i had previously done this in the htaccess.dist as explained in the README- this didn't work for me though)

The message disappeared, could have been either fix as I didn't check in between, but hey ....

It works! :)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

They will still show up in the error_log if they exist, but that's 100% better than on screen.

14. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can of course turn down the level of logging - to be honest on a live system only logging unrecoverable errors is the best thing to do.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by jeslick
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty