The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do you troubleshoot your error logs? I need advice for these errors. (2 posts)

1. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have seen many an error, many error messages contain the clues to their fix.

But in an mu install with hundreds of blogs how do I go about troubleshooting the following errors in an error_log in my wpmu root:

[28-Aug-2007 19:54:40] Mismatched tag at line 279, column 7
    [28-Aug-2007 19:57:40] Mismatched tag at line 279, column 7
    [28-Aug-2007 22:13:04] Mismatched tag at line 279, column 7
    [28-Aug-2007 23:53:53] Mismatched tag at line 279, column 7
    [29-Aug-2007 02:08:23] Mismatched tag at line 279, column 7
     [29-Aug-2007 09:34:38] Mismatched tag at line 27, column 8
    [29-Aug-2007 09:34:39] Attribute without value at line 13, column 39

What tag, what blog, what line, what column? I'm pretty sure these errors are feed(rss) related? I have a sitefeed and it validates. I can't easily tell which feed breaks, if any are broken by this error, anyway.

Is there some strategy I could use to track this type of error?

Users report nothing. So it mustn't be a show stopper. I can't find this error in a web browser when I visit a blog front end. I don't want to go through every feed in the w3c feed validator one by one, is there any other way?

There are no other errors when these errors show in the logs.

I'll try the following, create an opml file for all blogs, load that in Thunderbird and see what happens.

2. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do you have cPanel?

What I ended up doing was after checking error_log, I'd write down the exact time and then try to find the same time stamp in the latest 300 visitors.

It can be tricky if you have lots of users/hits. I usually get the 300 latest visitors filled up in a couple of minutes, so if an error appears an hour before I have no way of knowing where it came from.

I also check 404 error codes from awstats, that helped me locate some errors (like the double username for prev/next links).

Also, if you get a blog id in error_log, I search for it and then check it out to see what theme its using, etc. Then I reload or visit all the links at that blog and check the error log to see if anything appears while I was visiting.

I am not sure what else I do, but this pretty much covers all the major errors I've found.

About this Topic