The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Automatic subdomains? (19 posts)

1. triangular
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, I'm confused. When a new user signs up, WP MU automatically creates a new subdomain as user.mydomain.com? How can that happen? When my user signs up it goes through this process and then takes him to his page, which of course isn't there because I havent created any new subdomains in my cpanel manually yet!

What am I missing here?

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're missing the wildcard dns record that you created during setup. (You did read the readme.txt file included with the download, right?) With it, you don't have to manually create those subdomains. The site is created when the enduder creates their accounts and is handled internally by wpmu.

3. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is this something I should be able to do myself or should I rely on my hosting provider?

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Depends on the level of access to the server. Note that I say server and not backend. Some of the stuff requires root access.

Gotta admit though that if you have to ask, I'd contact your host and get them to do it.

5. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

So when my host says this - "I did assign this to the domain, but it appears that you may not be able to use mail on this domain, so I reverted this back to the default." - what are they actually saying?

6. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I choose sub-directories instead of sub-domains do I still have to worry about the DNS? Will any blogs I create show up?

7. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay that seems to work for me.

Can I manually add subdomains to WPMU blogs?

I have a new blog at mpm.org.au/maker can I now go into cpanel and create a subdomain for it at maker.mpm.org.au?

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

what are they actually saying?

Not a clue but to me it sounds like a passoff where they just don't want to install the wildcard. Some hosts don't due to abuse or security issues or the fear that they will break something during upgrading. (edit: And since you mention CPanel further on, the wildcard dns works fine in CPanel. Sounds like your host just doesn't want to do it or is misunderstanding something)

Subdirectories should work fine as you note without the DNS. They will actually work better for Google juice for the main site although some end user folks will pass over your site as any blog won't really be theirs without their own subdomain URL.

You can manually add it subdirectories at the bottom of the Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Blogs page. You do nothing in CPanel.

9. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Dr Mike, for all your help.

In my cpanel I can manually create subdomains (as I have here: http://300.mpm.org.au - which is a single WP blog located at http://www.mpm.org.au/300/)

If I create a blog thru wpmu at http://mpm.org.au/300/ - can I still manually add the 300.mpm.org.au subdomain?

I tried it with a test blog http://mpm.org.au/maker but it seems to have broken the blog (unless of course something else broke the blog)

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You do NOT add each subdomain.
    That is the point of the wildcard entry to your DNS.

That makes it recognize any subdomain on your site.
    MU handles serving the correct content.

You do realize what MU is designed for, right? And all the responsibilities associated with such endeavors?

11. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I realise all that. I'm just having trouble with the DNS part with my host (and I'm reluctant to move as they sponsor us with a very kind hosting package for free)

I'm not setting this up as a multi-user-anyone can sign up endeavour. It's a charity project site for our fundraising company where only specific projects will have a 'blog'. I had been using seperate WP installs but I'm hoping WPMU will streamline the process.

I know that WPMU is meant to automatically create subdomains, but I just want to know if it's possible to use the sub-directory option and manually create the subdomains.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The subdirectories are virtual as well. They only exist in the database.

14. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I see what MDM is getting at. CPanel, unlike some other host software packages puts subdomains into subdirectories within the file system. (Note that I'm talking about CPanel's subdomains, not wpmu's subdomains)

That would be a conflict if you have a previous subdomain within cpanel and a blog as a subdirectory with the same name. Can't test it as we're a Direct Admin install and DA's subdomains are handled differently. (ie They get created as a new 'public_html' directory, not a subdirectory with it like CPanel does.)

Best bet would be to add in the name of the preexisting subdomain to your banned list within Dashboard -> Site Admin -> (I can't remember the page it's on but you'll see it).

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

15. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, this is what I was getting at:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5831&page&replies=5

Dr Mike, are you saying that my pre-existing subdomain (http://300.mpm.org.au) could be interfering with my WPMU creating new subdomains?

I'm still having issues with subdomains not resolving although my host says they should work:

"Hi Michael,
    I have been looking over this for the past few days and it just seems that the sub domains is the only issue I see at the moment. You should be able to setup WPMU and function correctly on mpm.org.au without a problem."

How long is it meant to take for a subdomain to show up? How long after my host enables the wildcard should I be able to create subdomains?

BTW I've been searching through these forums for a week or so now and I can't help but wonder why you don't at least have the Read Me file as a sticky topic or a specific post for subdomains. I realise that's what Tags are for but it seems to be a pretty popular topic!

16. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any preexisting subdomains, IE: Not MU related, they have to come first in apache's configuration file, as they should be separate virtual hosts.

If they don't come first, the virtual host for your MU setup will take control because of the wildcard server alias.

I assume this is what you're getting at, right?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"How long is it meant to take for a subdomain to show up? How long after my host enables the wildcard should I be able to create subdomains?"

If they are done correctly on the server, and the domain is already resolved, it's immediate. If it's not working for you, then something is wrong with your setup.

There's no sticky post for many reasons:
    - no mods in the forums
    - that's what the tag system is for
    - everyone's setup is slightly different.

18. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

- Folks don't see the search sticky so it's kind of fruitless.
    - Folks don't read the readme.txt file included within the download.

19. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well you will no doubt be pleased to hear that it works (finally)!

About this Topic