The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't upload any files (13 posts)

1. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok so after extensive forum reading I am stuck. When I try and upload any kind of file using the write post uploader i get this error "failed to write file to disk" I have checked and the following is true.

Safe mode is off
    the blogs.dir is 777

no subfolders seem to be getting created (1/files/2007/08)

Even if i create all the sub folders myself and put them at 777 it wont upload.

Anyone know how to help with this?

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

What specific version of mu are you running? I thought they fixed this recently. Gone to look.

3. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I should also mention that these are "accepted" files and below the max size limit.

4. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

using the latest version 1.2.4

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/82644 (Discusses the issue with some things to test)
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/101110 (The solution if the settings in the first thread don't work for you.)

6. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok so I checked the following

Php_uploads are on
    the upload folder is defined (I assume you do this in the edit screen on the blog admin tab)

It is set to wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files

Uploads Use Yearmonth Folders is set to 1
    (out of curiosity tried it set to 0 still no dice)

Still no dice. Any other options?

7. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I also tried creating a tmp folder, and changed my php temp upload folder to /tmp in the php.ini

8. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok i tried lowercase tmp I tried changing the defined upload folder, I have pretty much run out of options, the strange thing is even if I place a file in the folder I still can't manage any files through the manage tab. just says "There are no attachments to show."

9. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you talked to your host? They may have something preventing an upload.

10. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I guess thats my last option, I will give it a try now.

11. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Talked with my host, they didn't do anything, but it just started working?

Here is what I did, i have no idea what one, if any had anything to do with fixing the problem.

reset some of the blog options to default values and saved a couple of times.

set the php.ini default temp download path to /tmp

created a folder in my root called TMP gave it 777 permissions

created a new blog to test new options, was able to upload there first

places a file in the folders I had created in the steps above.

I have absolutely no idea which one of these made it work, but my suspicion was that the creation of the new blog had something to do with it because that is when it started working. Sorry that this thread is not more valuable to future people with this problem.

12. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

one last thing, have no idea if this was involved but also changed my password to something else briefly then changed it back, just grasping at straws here.

13. bradybd
    Posted 15 years ago #

Another important check to make is that your Uploading location under 'Miscellaneous Options' in the 'Options' tab is set correctly.

About this Topic