The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Tips before launching Mu site? (7 posts)

1. themesbycal
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

I've been reading as much as possible on this forum for the past few weeks/months and have learned alot. I feel that I'm only a few weeks from launching my Mu site and was curious if you had any suggestions or tips before I do.....

Anything you wish you would have done before people started signing up?

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

2. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts here too! I have got my WordPress basically down, but I just have a couple more things to do before I want people to sign up!

One thing that I am currently doing now before people sign-up is make sure there is a good selection of Themes, and be sure that there are a couple Plugins available. AKA Spam protection, etc...

And be sure that you are comfortable with your design on the home page to "attract" new users. I have a pretty small niche, but when I open up my wordpress mu to the public, it will take on really fast because it is something none of my users have seen before.

Be sure that your site is running PERFECTLY, and make a couple test blogs, etc...I would also recommend writing a page about how to "get started" for your users. Sometimes it is hard for people to start their own blog.

Hope this helps!

Christian

3. rooler
    Posted 16 years ago #

1. Large number of themes.
    2. Good spam protection.
    3. Less ads.

4. themesbycal
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks for the tips guys...

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have a strategy in place for expansion. Like, if you're on a smaller host, figure out how you're gonna move eventually because figuring out how in a panic is SO not fun.
    Get in the groove of checking on the system and making frequent db backups.
    Make sure you've thought out how you want your system to work, whatever cool extras features or mods you want, before you get going. Kinda hard or riskier to do some things when you've got a few hundred users or more. ;)

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Provide a method of allowing your endusers to get ahold of you if there's an issue or if they find a problem. ie support forum, ticket system, etc.

And make sure that they know about it. ie include a link and an explaination in the signup emails that they get, links on teh main site, modify the links in the footer of wp-admin.

docs too. explain stuff, especially when you add in something new. just doing that will put you above the Site That Must Not be Named.

7. themesbycal
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate the information.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by themesbycal
  • Latest reply from themesbycal