The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Only Lowercase Accounts Work When Logging In (19 posts)

1. efx2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello I just installed a fresh install of WPMU version 1.2.5a and when members sign up with only lowercase letters they can login just fine. If they sign up with mixed uppercase and lowercase the login no longer works. I have tested this myself and it does happen.

The message it says is ..

Error: Incorrect password.

Note: You must enable cookies to use this site.

Anyone come across this issue before? My members are able to sign up just fine and they are able to activate their blogs just fine and it creates the blog just fine. They just can't log into the admin dashboard if they have any uppercase letters in their names.

2. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

And they're typing in the uppercase too right? Cause it's case sensitive.

3. efx2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah I have even done it myself to test it. For example I registered Keith .. and when I log in I use Keith and the password it provides and it gives me the password and cookie error I mentioned above.

If I change the password within the admin control panel using my admin account it still doesn't work.

If I go into the actual database and change my user name to keith (all lowercase) I can then log in just fine. If I change it back to Keith (with the uppercase) it will give me the error again.

You can try it out if you want and maybe see something I am not. http://efx2blogs.com/wp-signup.php

There is another domain on this same dedicated server that does the same thing for them. Here is some info for you ..

AMD Opteron 1214 DualCore 2 x 2.2 Ghz
    3072 MB DDR2 RAM
    2x 250 GB SATA in RAID1
    Debian 4.0 AMD64
    Plesk 8.1
    PHP 4.4.4
    Apache 2.2.3

4. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Same thing on my site...change it to lowercase in the database and it works, just as you explain.

The blog is created and activated, but just can't login with uppercase in name.

Edit: Filed a bug in the tracker.

Steve

5. efx2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ah good I am not the only one. It's driving me nuts and not sure what should be changed in order to fix it. :/

6. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

To try to help until a fix is found, I changed the text under the username field in wp-signup to prompt people to use all lowercase.

In fact, I think this is a good idea even after there is a fix since this becomes part of the url, so I'll probably just leave that text.

Steve

7. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

A quick fix would be great - this is definitely an issue.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

strtolower($string);

9. vinhlg
    Posted 16 years ago #

Change line 307 in wp-signup.php:

$user_name = $filtered_results['user_name'];
    to
    $user_name = strtolower($filtered_results['user_name']);

will quickly fix this bug.

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hasn't WP allowed uppercase characters for a while now?

Thanks,
    Andrew

11. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks guys :)

12. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks vinhlg...works great.

Steve

13. doublehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

Vinhlg, you've saved the day!

14. enseignement
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, but will this fix work for people who had already registered and activated before wpmu 1.2.5a ? ?

15. Peavy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Had the same issue with previous versions of MU.
    To solve it, I did the following:

* open wp-content/mu-plugins/pluggable.php - in the function wp_login, replace

$username = strtolower($username);

with

//BEGIN AUTH HACK - Authentication problem when using strtolower: can't fetch the username with the one registered in DB
    //Original code:
    //$username = strtolower($username);
    $username = sanitize_user($username);
    //END AUTH HACK

Peavy 8)

16. MrBaaps
    Posted 16 years ago #

For some reason, this fix " Change line 307 in wp-signup.php " doesn't work for me. I made the change and I still can not login with uppercase characters.

I am using wpmu 1.2.5a and i'm trying to figure out why it's not working for me.

I also found a plugin that can convert uppercase characters to lowercase when somebody login or signs up. It's called Insensitive here it is:

http://n0tablog.wordpress.com/my-wordpress-plug-ins/insensitive/

17. Peavy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, I just installed WpMU 1.2.5a and there is a little change to solve this issue:

* open wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php - in the function wp_login, replace

$username = strtolower($username);

with

//BEGIN AUTH HACK - Authentication problem when using strtolower: can't fetch the username with the one registered in DB
    //Original code:
    //$username = strtolower($username);
    $username = sanitize_user($username);
    //END AUTH HACK

Peavy 8)

18. MrBaaps
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks a lot Peavy! Now it works fine.

{0,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"- Mr. Baaps

19. primefalcon
    Posted 16 years ago #

I upgraded and to this version of wordpress and did you hack to solve that problem, only now none of sub blogs are accessable just says:

Not Found
    The requested URL /rrblog/hera was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at runescaperegistry.com Port 80

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by efx2
  • Latest reply from primefalcon