The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple USER domains? (3 posts)

1. portalcap
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, I've been searching the forums about multiple domains and I have found a lot of talk about letting individual users have their own domains and referring to that as "multiple domains" but what I want is to have multiple base domains.

I'm going to create a blogging community for science fiction and fantasy related blogs, and I want to have a few different options for domains to pick subdomains for, can I do this with one installation so that the users can cross blogs on different domains?

For example I have the following star trek based domains I've owned for a long time:
    holodeck3.com
    subspacelink.com

I've also registered a couple other fantasy related ones:
    magicaldiary.com
    magicbook.tv
    wizardblogs.net

And I may want to add more later.

I want to setup a wpmu so that people can get free blogs on any of these domains and a few others I may add later, can I do this with one installation with one dedicated ip with wildcard dns on each of these domains pointed to that ip or do I need separate installations for each and every domain. I'd prefer to use one installation both for the easy of use (one thing to upgrade, one repository of sci-fi/fantasy based themes) and for the collaborative work (let one user author/co-author blogs on different domains in the set without having multiple user accounts)

Can this be done as is, or will I ahve to make some code changes to make this possible?

2. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

3. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic