The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

facing 403 error after installation (5 posts)

1. sork
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

after installing without any problem, i faced this 403 forbidden error. and i can't change the .htaccess file (why?). please help. what should i do?

2. sork
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

guys please someone help me in this. :( this forum has never been like this before. nobody knows the answer?

3. gappiah
    Posted 18 years ago #

Which build are you using? And is your .htaccess file writable?

4. Edd
    Posted 18 years ago #

The permissions on my .htaccess is 644. Make sure it is writeable as said above. And try upgrading to the latest build. Also, is mu installed at root or in like a sub folder? Just some ideas.

5. ballen
    Posted 18 years ago #

Make sure your web server (apache I would hope) has permissions on all the files... Usually group perms should do if the user and group have similar perms... The user should match the hosting account in a shared environment. If you are on your own box, just have all the files owned by the apache user and part of the apache group. This will save you a lot of pain and heartache... I will make a bet that if you ssh into your box and check the owner, you will notice they will be owned by a number.
    Do a "chown -R apache:apache *" in your webroot and see if that helps out... you may have to assign those permissions to your .htaccess seperate from the others as hidden files are generally pretty cranky to work with.
    Try that out and see if that helps you out...

About this Topic