The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

When will we see WP 2.3 code in a new MU? (10 posts)

1. j450n
    Posted 16 years ago #

When will Wordpress MU get the Wordpress 2.3 code and offer tags?

Please allow for sitewide tags!!!

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

IMHO, I doubt you'll see sitewide tagging capabilities with this.

Per site, sure. But sitewide tags (the tag surfer, if you will) is one of the things that differentiates wp.com from a default install of MU.

I could be wrong, but looking back at past history it shows that most site wide features that even come close to wp.com are up to the user to figure out.

Although with some of the new "features" of 2.3, it might be a little more involved to implement, and require some additional thought and planning on Donncha's part.

Like the "update available notification" thing or whatever.

As it is in WP, it doesn't make sense for MU in that capacity.
    Why would and end user on your MU install need to know there is a new version of something available. That's more site admin type info, if that system will work with MU at all at the moment.

But, that's another ball of wax all together.

3. JeremyVisser
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm sure Donncha's working on it (or if he hasn't started yet, I don't blame him — he's got a baby!) so we'll have to be patient.

Although I kinda wish he'd commit to trunk as he went along, so we can do some testing for him all the way, rather than having him suddenly release a 1.3 and having to do a 1.3a to fix release bugs. Closed doors development is bad!

I disagree with "release early, release often" but highly agree with "commit early, commit often"!

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, that's what Donncha "pretty much" does for the most part. Although, from observation, when he commits something he tends to make sure the scope of the commit works as a whole.

Considering the changes that go with 2.3, that's going to be a lot of facets to track and make sure are working without major error.

5. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

The first commit went in today. It's a taxonomy sync script. I'm going to start a new thread about that shortly. Hopefully we'll see a WP 2.3 based release in about a week after a few RC releases.

6. miteshashar
    Posted 16 years ago #

One consideration please.
    Please integrate in both, the single installation & MU, something to show the currently present tags when people enter a tag.

This would eliminate similar ambiguous tags like wpmu & wordpressmu.

7. JeremyVisser
    Posted 16 years ago #

miteshashar — not a WPMU problem, tell the WordPress folks about that one. Oh, and create a new thread, please.

8. miteshashar
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree it is not really a WPMU-only problem....
    But yea this was just a humble request to donncha & all other wordpress gurus from my end as an consideration for both WPMU & WP single.
    And I felt it was very much related to this thread.

9. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

miteshashar - there are plugins to do that. What's in WP is intentionally lacking in features to encourage others to develop different plugins and find the best way of doing it!

10. miteshashar
    Posted 16 years ago #

great...
    thanx a lot donncha..i'll luk out for da plugins....

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by j450n
  • Latest reply from miteshashar