The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Created Pages but get 404 error (19 posts)

1. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can someone look at my site - scbcs.net - and tell me what I'm doing wrong with my pages? If you click on horizontal menu, you get 404 errors because the pages tag isn't linking to right URL when I create pages. If you type in the url using the id, the page is there.

Help!

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

3. ala101
    Posted 16 years ago #

maybe mod_rewrite is off .
    Switch it on please

4. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for trying to help - I've been searching through the forums without much luck.

My host - uplinkearth.com says they're not running Apache...and won't help with anything except the wordpress THEY install...

I don't know how to turn mod_rewrite on or off.

Anyone else have a suggestion? I found this similar problem here put the post was over a year old with no responses....

help please!

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

WordPress Support Forums
    http://wordpress.org/support/

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

What the heck is up with all the regular WP users in here??

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't know, but them posting here doesn't do WP any good, and only spreads out topics that people using WP may find useful.

8. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am NOT using regular wordpress - I am using wordpress MU. This is the forum for wordpress MU, right? Perhaps I should have posted that at the beginning of my request for help, but felt it unneccessary due to the name of the forum. In fact, I thought it odd that I was being redirected to the regular WP forum for support.

So - I am using WORDPRESS MU - I cannot get the links for NEW USER BLOGS or PAGES to correctly link. (If it were regular wordpress, I could probably figure it out, but have been unable to with Wordpress MU).

New blogs do not show at all, and pages (for example a page called About Us) come out as http://scbcs.net/aboutus/ and give me an error page.

Can someone help me?

9. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Here's what my .htaccess page says..in case this helps someone help me.
    Thank you.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Here's your problem:

From that 404 page, which pops up from the link above:

"* Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.

* Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages."

You're running IIS, not Apache.

Therefore: No Apache, no mod_rewrite module to make those links pretty.

11. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

12. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can't seem to find anything that doesn't require the purchase of software to make this work. Surely I'm not the only person to put MU on a windows server. My host is really great and will make whatever changes they can to help me, but I need to tell them what needs to be done and I don't know enough about it.

Can someone out there help me get my new blog and page links working properly? for a fee? I desperately need to get this site active and do NOT want to install multiple instances of the regular WP if I don't have to.

Thank you!
    K
    site: http://scbcs.net

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

A few people have got it to work on IIS, but they did pay for that module, and then had to tweak a lot from there.

What you need is Apache, not IIS. If your host can't provide that, and you don't want to go the route of a) hassling with IIS, and b) paying for more software isn't a viable option, then getting a host that natively supports the requirements for MU would be best. Since it seems that your site would be closed (or limited) in the number of blogs, you could probably use Media Temple's Grid Server package without issue.

Anyway, Apache natively handles url rewrites (mod_rewrite), which MU needs to run. Without rewrite capabilities, MU can't function.

There are a few other alternatives to Apache (LightSpeed, for example), but that's a whole different can of worms.

14. man999
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree with lunabytes. Wordpress is written specifically for Apache and that's the best choice to run it perfect.

However, if you definitely have to get it work on IIS it doesn't require that much tweaking. You just have to install IIS mod-rewrite pro and add the following line of code in wp-config.php:

$_SERVER[ 'REQUEST_URI' ] = $_SERVER[ 'HTTP_X_ORIGINAL_URL' ];

It's quite easy, works perfect too, but you got to pay for the tool.

Also, check this post:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6208

15. mamaestes
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the explanations! I've decided to find a host that will support mu rather than mess with windows. I appreciate your help!

16. csgraduate
    Posted 16 years ago #

Recently I installed WP-MU. Whenever I click at the About page or any other newly created page it gives 404 error.

Please look here :- http://ravi5.desisun.com

Clicking on 'about' page gives 404 error. I use apache and Mod_rewrite is enabled.

Can someone please help me?

Here's my .htaccess :-

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

17. csgraduate
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh my mistake. Allowoverride was set to None in my virtual.conf file of apache2 . It should be set to 'All'

It works now fine now.

18. tubadoor
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am also having a problem with 'pages' getting 404 errors.

As far as I know:
    - Apache Mod_rewrite is on and working
    - My .htaccess looks similar to the one above posted by csgraduate except. RewriteBase /blog/
    - I have the following in my httpd.conf

<Directory "/www">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride FileInfo Options
    Allow for all
    </Directory>

I am unsure what I'm missing here. This is a fresh install of Wordpress-mu.

19. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please take a second and read the debugging script linked to from the readme file and provide the information asked for. You need to tell us what exists within the webserver's error logs and provide an example link at the the very least.

Make sure that mod_rewrite is activated and working for that domain as well. You may have to get with your host on that one.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mamaestes
  • Latest reply from theapparatus