The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sub-domain blogs not loading. (16 posts)

1. sweetbajan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi I am very new to this. I searched but I am seeing a lot of solutions and I do not know which one would be for me. My site is http://www.thebeyoncefix.com and I am created a test blog to see if the wpmu I downloaded would work.

Here is a sub-domain blog I created and everything went fine but when I go to view it doesnt load.

http://damn.thebeyoncefix.com/wpmu/

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check:

a) Wildcard DNS A record has been entered, and has propagated
    b) Apache's configuration file was properly edited to add a wildcard ServerAlias

3. sweetbajan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok how am I supposed to check these things? I have never heard of these things before lol.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please read the readme.txt file that came with MU.

Read it carefully, and pay close attention.

5. sweetbajan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok where I bought the domain.. i made an A Record - the source is *.thebeyoncefix.com and the destination is my sites I.P Address. Did I do that right? And I did read the "README" document but for people who are not familiar with all of these terms it is hard. But for some of you it would be easy because you know what you are talking about. So I am just asking for you to bare with me. The next step (apache) would my host have to do that?

6. amasso
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yup, if you don't have root access to your server.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

* Mod's, please remove the "signature" above. *

As for apache, that's part of the game. The very first part of the readme mentions about "if you're not comfortable...".

It really is true, but is the most overlooked part of the readme, followed by the rest of it. Not to discourage you, but MU is an advanced server platform, and to support it really does call for a good foundation with PHP, MySQL, and of course Apache.

It really isn't recommended for a shared environment, as it will consume a lot of resources on a shared box, which in turn ticks off the host. Result: you wake up without a site one morning. Also, MU tends to violate their TOS. Either by resource usage, or the fact that you're giving out accounts to users. Not like user names, but accounts that can make their own site. Thus essentially, you're becoming the web host yourself.

8. webdesignandseoblog
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree with you on all terms. But I am also not a pro and I am on shared hosting. I think that there is a way you can do it and that is by being a reseller. My hosting company has all necessary settings as their standard settings and as a reseller it will be in their interest that I use as much space as possible as this would lead to further sales to me. If I use more traffic than I have in my package I will pay extra and thats probably what they like. As thats how they make their money...

My provider is top hoster http://www.top-hoster.de . Great package and best service I have seen. This is a German hosting company but all is available for English customers also...

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The space and traffic is not what you will use up - it's memory and processing. And some hosts limit db connections.

If you've got 512 of RAM and 300-500 blogs, that's pushing it. the thing will go down every other day.

10. ssbansal
    Posted 16 years ago #

You need a dedicated IP Address, Subdomain Blogs will not work unless you buy one.

Its cheap, your hosting company should provide one for around $2

11. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Uh, no, you don't need a dedicated IP.

12. thomasderNeue
    Blocked
    Posted 15 years ago #

buying for a subdomain? Oh my god which ist you webhosting company? You really DONT need you own IP. I analysed your Subdomain Homepage. Your Server IP: 195.244.235.216
    BUT: Your DNS Records for your Subdomain are WRONG. Just make a redirect of a wildcard of your Domain in DNS settings to your IP.
    Other way is to change to an other hosting company.

13. fusspflege-ulm
    Blocked
    Posted 15 years ago #

hello @ all,

I mean that's no problem with Subdomains, when the webmaster can handle and work with it. That is my personal opinion.

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Modlook for the last two posts please.

15. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Am I wrong or do I REALLY see more spammers in this forum during past 2 weeks maybe?

Or are people really that 'strange' or is their English that bad?

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, there's been a rush.

Mods are away.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by sweetbajan
  • Latest reply from andrea_r