The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Welcome Email Not Sent (13 posts)

1. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

Signup is disabled on my site. Blogs have to be created by me. With the admin email using gmail, new blog users were not receiving any mails. Now having changed the site admin and the admin email to admin@domain.com (where domain is the domain of my blog site), new users only receive the username and password email and not the welcome email.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

So anything in your error logs (php or mail)? Anything to confirm that the welcome email is ever actually being sent?

3. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

I couldn't find anything in the mail error log /var/log/maillog

where do i find the PhP error log please?

4. danwill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Was a solution ever found to this problem? I'm having the same issue: when the admin creates a new blog, for a new user, the username/password e-mail is sent to the user, but the Welcome notification is not. So it doesn't appear to me to be an SMTP/send mail issue, because the username/password email IS being successfully sent & received.

This feature did work for me weeks ago, but obviously something changed since then. I'm using Wordpress/WPMU 2.3.3, and have disabled all plugins to see if one of them is causing the problem, but that didn't help.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"This feature did work for me weeks ago, but obviously something changed since then."

So if you didn't change anything in WPMU, the only other thing that can change is your server settings somewhere.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"the username/password e-mail is sent to the user, but the Welcome notification is not"

Wouldn't necessarily point to a server setting, in terms of sending permissions, but it could be something where a time limit between messages is coming into play. Then again, it could be that the welcome notification is being rejected at the receiving end as well.

7. danwill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks, andrea & lunabyte-

Regarding something that may have changed on the server, I would have no idea where to begin looking at that. I looked in varioius logs available to me thru cpanel, but nothing jumped out at me.

And I thought about the notification being rejected on the receiving end, but I've tried using many different e-mail addresses & domains (yahoo.com, gmail.com, berkeley.edu), and none of them are receiving the welcome notification.

My last thought was to modify the content of the username/password e-mail, since that is getting sent & received successfully.

Might anyone know what .php file that e-mail is sent from? It doesn't appear to be wpmu-functions.php, since I can't find the text (e.g., "Your username and password") that are included in that e-mail.

Thanks again for your help.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not that it may correct your issue, but you may wish to consider upgrading to MU 2.6 now, available from the download page above.

If the issue persists, then a) at least you're up to date, and b) we can help you dig into it further.

9. danwill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Good idea, lunabyte. I upgraded to 2.6, but alas, the problem still exists: the welcome email notification still isn't sent to the new blog user, but the username/password email is sent.

Any other thoughts?

10. mwrenfro
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm having the same problem. I've isolated it down to the line

if( !apply_filters('wpmu_welcome_notification', $blog_id, $user_id, $password, $title, $meta) )

in the wpmu_welcome_notification function (wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php). Commenting out the check and the return on the next line "fixes" the problem, but I know it's a grungy hack at best. This filter check has to exist for a reason.

I would assume the proper fix is to figure out why the if statement is always returning true, or at least returning true on some or all WPMU installations (mine is 2.5.1, Dan's is 2.6). Maybe a missed setting from a much older WPMU installation? Mine's a recent upgrade from 1.1 or whatever was current in early 2007.

11. danwill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmm....good lead. I found the "if( !apply_filters(..." line, in the wpmu_welcome_notification function of wpmu-functions.php. I commented it (and the following Return line) out, but still didn't receive the welcome notification email.

It looks like the wpmu_welcome_notification function is called from the wpmu_activate_signup function. But where does wpmu_activate_signup get called from? I don't think it's ever called, as far as I can tell.

My very funky workaround was to move the call of wpmu_welcome_notification to wpmu-edit.php, right before the "exit();" from "case 'addblog'", around line 135.

I'm sure this is not the "proper fix" either, but it seems to work for now, and my head was getting lumps from banging it against the wall.

12. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Users won't get a welcome email at all because the email is sent when a blog is activated in wpmu_activate_signup() but that function is never called because wpmu_create_blog() is called directly.

The wpmu_welcome_notification() function should probably be called from the "addblog" section of wp-admin/wpmu-edit.php

13. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Fixed this in the 2.6 branch. Bet someone's going to complain that the welcome emails are sent out now. I think that's why they were removed in the first place.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by kishorebudha
  • Latest reply from donncha