The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU stopped adding blogs (5 posts)

1. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

I started working with MU two days ago and have created about four blogs in subfolders. For the past hour, though, I can't get MU to create any more blogs.

I go to Site Admin / Blogs, and I fill in the "Add Blog" box, as usual.

When I click "Add Blog," the screen gets hung on this URL, where it didn't before:

http://inko.us/wp-admin/wpmu-edit.php?action=addblog

I get a white screen. When I refresh the white screen, it says, "Blog already exists," but it doesn't, the dog.

When I go back into admin, I find that the new user is created, but the blog does not appear by his or her name. When I go to the new blog's URL, it's not there.

I was adding blogs to experiment with upgrade-schemea.php settings, and up to the point when I couldn't create blogs, the changes were working beautifully. I had just changed the GMT offset and the blog description when I tried a new blog to see if the adjustments would take. I got so scared I put them back. Still wouldn't take.

I get the same results with Safari and Firefox. I'm running OSX 10.4.10 on a MacIntel, and the Internet has been going fine.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anything in the error logs about it?
    My best guess at this point would be that you have an error in the upgrade file somewhere. Usually a typo or something, that is preventing the blog from being created.

Make a backup of the one you've edited, and then replace the original with the default one. See if the problem occurs, and then work in each change you've made one by one until you find the culprit.

Although, apache's error_log should have something in there for you. Since you're playing around on your local machine, you could turn on the setting in php.ini where errors are reported to the screen. display_errors is the setting, by the way.

You "may" have to make a php info page to find the php.ini file in use if doing a locate from terminal produces multiple results.

3. xknown
    Posted 16 years ago #

Peter, I had a similar issue before and it was related to PHP's memory_limit setting, you may need to increase this value.

4. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

You were exactly right, lunabyte: a typo. Just found it. Apparently, WP didn't like my deleting a text field when I changed the blog description line in add option in upgrade-schema.php.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm doing a crash course in this stuff, staying up to all hours getting myself introduced to php to get my ninth graders a set of web sites. It's acually rather satisfying, because I find I can actually make things work. This is a great forum -- it makes you dig (the only way I find I really learn), but people help you in a pinch.

I really appreciate it, lynabyte and xknown.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're welcome.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by PeterStephens
  • Latest reply from lunabyte