The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

accident with wpmu 1.1.1 - please help (10 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

hello guys,this is a linux related question.I am still using wordpress-mu-1.1.1 and fighting splogs. right now I marked the last created 3 blogs, and said: delete. somehow my internet connection broke and I hit refresh, the wpmu dialog saying: are you sure you want to d othis yes / no came up and I clicked yes.BUT when I verified the url it was saying: all blogs. I have just deleted all blogs!!! AND the backup system is down as I have been working on that too. what chances do I have to somehow save those blogs? running debian etch.

2. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Look in your database and see if the blog tables are still there. If not, then you have virtually no chance of recovering them unless you have a backup of your database.

Steve

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

See if your host has a recent backup too. Aw man...

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

:-( I thought so :-(

the tables are all gone from my database, all thats left are the tables created by plugins, like spams, logs and forum tables...

There is no backup as its my own server and I have been struggling with the backupsystem for months right now. I know its dangerous without backupsystem, but there are no clients on the server just my wpmu playground and there were only 3-4 real bloggers for which I really feel responsible...

I'll google around maybe there still is a chance to recover somethign. thx for your help

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just found 2 log files from today, still googling to see if they can somehow help.

-rw-rw---- 1 mysql adm 39920508 Oct 19 06:31 mysql-bin.000634
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql adm 14950057 Oct 19 16:54 mysql-bin.000635

the sizes are pretty promising

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

problem is those logs only tell me what was executed...

haven't read through those logs yet, but I suppose when I say: delete blog, wpmu does a drop table?

if it does the situation is this: in the folder: /var/lib/mysql/web5_db1 used to be 3 files for each of my tables, (using myisam) so I coudl try a recovery tool, BUt I am using ext3 :-(
    so it seems chances are very slim...

if somebody mroe experienced can give me some hints I would REALLY appreciate it.

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

ovidiu - they're the mysql binary logs and wouldn't have stored the deletes. Your best bet to get blogs back would be to check if Google reader has them cached.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

have the users made backups of their stuff with the export tool?

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

no I don't think they have backed up anything.

AND YES! google reader has them in cache :-) great tip Donncha, but can you help out further? I have no clue what to do next. I guess I could export the rs google reader has stored? I will start experimenting right now.

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

For backups, even if you can't get tape backups working then even an export style dump of the DB would be worth having. Its probably not practical if you've got 1000s of blogs with 1000s of entries but....

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by Ovidiu
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty