The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Allow users to post on some blogs but not others (7 posts)

1. mcrider
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, I want my general users to post on some blogs on my site, but not on others. I thought I could just stick in a post box (i.e. the wysiwyg editor thats in the admin panel) in the blogs I want them to be able to post in, and only show it to registered users. But, I can't figure out how to do that :)

The other option is to give the same user capabilities to post on one blog and not on another. I can't figure that out either, even after playing around with Thomas Schneider's role manager (which doesn't seem to work too well on MU).

Does anyone know of a possible solution to this problem?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

If they are a user on the site, they are first registered to the main blog. They have to be added to a sub-blog to be a user there. You can bump up their user level so they can post.

You can add a user to the blgo by going to the admin of that blog and going to the Users menu. Scroll down. Find "Add user from community". There's a box there to say what level you want them at.

3. mcrider
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there a way to automate this? There will be a dozen blogs and likely hundreds of users, so that will be kinda annoying.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sure there is a way. You could write up a little function that does it, maybe when you click a users name or something.

5. mcrider
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, I'm pretty sure the role manager plugin doesn't work on MU, but I found this post which describes exactly what I want to do: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2679&page&replies=1

Also, I can edit the capabilities of roles in wp-admin/upgrade-schema.php.

Thanks for your help guys!

6. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there already a fix for this ?

It would be nice to be able when a user signs up, he only is added with capabilities to the blog he signed up for and not for the other blogs as a subscriber.

7. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

No-one really had this issue ?

When a user starts a blog, he is admin and he only can post on this own blog, he is not added as a subscriber to otherones blogs.

It would be nice when you are able to turn sitewide subscribing off.

About this Topic