The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Just to make sure... make my own theme (9 posts)

1. twodayslate
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just downloaded wp mu. I used to have a wp.org but deleted it in exchange for the mu. Editing my theme at wp.org was easy and could be done in the site admin. Can this be done in wp mu?

If not I have to edit
    wp-content/themes/name
    which theme do you recommend which is the most stable and is the most customizable.
    Thank you!

2. wpmuthemes
    Posted 16 years ago #

check http://wpmuthemes.com red press theme is good so far

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

You have to edit the themes via editing teh actual files. The theme editor (As well as the file and plugin editors just for reference.) have been removed as they're security risks. Since you're giving out sites on a shared environment, you don't want your endusers editing the files and they may cause damage.

4. twodayslate
    Posted 16 years ago #

How do you set it up so they can edit the CSS.

link?

Thank you!

5. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see a lot of posts that say you can't edit themes from within wpmu. This was not completely true for previous versions. I haven't tried it yet for 1.3, but I assume that plugins and themes can be edited from the admin panel with the following changes (will test when I have time).

The menus in /wp-admin/menu.php are commented out for editing themes, plugins and a couple of other menus. In 1.3 /wp-admin/theme-editor.php is missing, but it would simply be a case of copying theme-editor from an older version (I assume, I haven't tried it yet, but will). /wp-admin/plugin-editor.php is still available, but is -as in older versions of wpmu- made unavailable to the user. By simply activating (uncommenting) the menu items in /wp-admin/menus.php and and changing the code as follows a site admin can edit themes and plugins.

in plugins.php line 8 to get the following line:
    if( is_site_admin() != true && $menu_perms[ ‘plugins’ ] != 1 )
    and edit /wp-admin/plugin-editor.php and change line 3 to
    if( is_site_admin() == false ) {
    die( __(’You do not have permission to access this page.’) );
    }

themes is easier since you only need to edit uncomment the menus and edit line 3 of theme-editor.php in the same way as in plugin-editor.php

is_site_admin prevents users from accessing these files.

If there are other security concerns besides users having access to these files (which using is_site_admin() prevents) please let me know.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

In the latest versions of MU, the theme-editor.php and plugin-editor.php files have been removed.

Frankly, I find it easier & faster to edit any files directly on the server with the file manager.

"How do you set it up so they can edit the CSS."
    Nobody's written the plugin yet. :) However, there are some themes that have some editable options.

7. twodayslate
    Posted 16 years ago #

So no CSS edit for users.

8. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's actually a plugin over on wpmudev.org that will copy over the theme into your user's space and then allow it to be edited. You may want to take a look at it.

Some of us have also written css editors for our end users as well. I know though we don't have any plans on releasing it as GPL though.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I feel compelled to note that the plugin lets them edit the *whole theme* not just the CSS. They can plunk php in there...

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by twodayslate
  • Latest reply from andrea_r