The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Donations with Blog Hosting? (15 posts)

1. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

I have decided against having Google Ads be displayed on my blogs, as I don't have as much control to make sure the content follows their TOS.

Another option I have thought about is possibly adding a donation button to the blog home page. Any thoughts on this? Sometimes I think Donation buttons are tacky, BUT I am offering this blogging system as a free service, without ads, and with personal help and blog design.

So, what are your thoughts on including a donation button? Tacky, or not tacky...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have on on my not-for-profit MU install. People have used it from time to time. :)

I don't think it's tacky and I think some people like it more than having ads.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

I know there's a mu install that to verify that it's an actual person behind the signup, they run a $1 charge through paypal. That may be something you may want to think about. It's not much, most people wouldn't think much about a buck.

You'd have to code it though.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Really? Is that so apparatus?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I heard something like that too.

6. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

i agree on the part of a buck not being much, altough if you donĀ“t have a paypal acc, or if you dont have any money on your acc, it would be atleast a day before you could register on the site? im almost possitive that you loose alot of potential members that way altough its probably super-efectiv e against spam

7. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

That sounds like a good way to make a few bucks, especially if a lot of people were using your blogs; but it wouldn't fit my blog hosting. I think in my market I would loose a lot of potential customers.

I have decided to put the Donation button on my blog center home page, and who knows, maybe a couple people will drop a few bucks into the bucket. Here is a link to where I put it up: http://www.sleddoggin.com/blogs/ All I would really want to accomplish is to ultimately have the donations help pay for hosting.

Question: Do you think that it's too large or obtrusive? I think it's okay right now, but I would like to hear your opinions.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Looks fine.

9. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah looks good

10. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Awesome. Thank you for all of the thoughts everyone! Happy Halloween!

11. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Another suggestion is that if and when you get someone who donates, make sure you make mention of it and provide a link. Either through a main blog post, a special Page within the main blog, or even a text widget in the sidebar.

Make them feel special.

12. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay. I could easily do that. Maybe just contact them and ask if they want their name added to the list of donators?

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, that works.

And occasionaly letting people know you've got a donate button is good too. Not once a week, but just long enough for them to forget (3 months or so)

I also have let them know when we've had plenty of donations to keep running and we're all topped up. :D

14. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the thoughts andrea_r. I just got done posting a little blurb about being "ad free" but having the donation button in case anyone felt the urge to support the system.

I think this is a much better route for the blogging system, then having Google ads on each blog.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

On a small niche network, I think donations and no ads go over a whole lot better.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by hhuskies
  • Latest reply from andrea_r