The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Protect Against "Fake" Blogs? (9 posts)

1. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think I am starting to get more sign ups for "fake" blogs. Basically, people just making blogs to get their link on my site. I am noticing blog names like: might467, make467, etc...

Is there any way I can start to run a filter, and block blogs like this? What has been the easiest way to protect against spam/fake blogs for you.

I get around 10 of these a day that I delete, and I would like to find a way to really get rid of them!

2. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Everybody wants that :)
    The good thing is that it has been discussed many times, so you can pick your favourite method.

Search the forum for splogs, spam or sh*tlist.

3. miteshashar
    Posted 16 years ago #

1st thing i wud suggest is install wpmu-captcha...
    get it from http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com
    it'll reduce ur splogs to a great extent...
    also i have a plugin ready for the splogs not to appear on ur homepage/main blog until u approve them....or else just mark them spam thru the plugin directly...
    i need to fine tune it a bit and then i'll be soon launching it...

4. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you for the thoughts! I will definitely start searching for those keywords, and install that plugin. I just didn't know exactly what these spam blogs were called!

5. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I tried the WPMU Captcha for sign-ups, but when I installed it, the images wouldn't show up. Have you run into this problem before?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I switched my setup to moderated signups.
    http://wpmututorials.com/hacks/how-to-moderate-signups/

7. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks. I will look into that. It would probably be a better option for me anyways, as I only get about 1-2 REAL new signups per day.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Email me if you get stuck. :)

9. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I will andrea_r! Thanks!

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by hhuskies
  • Latest reply from hhuskies