The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

graceful_redirection() instead of graceful_fail() (4 posts)

1. ppriede
    Posted 16 years ago #

In wp-settings.php you can see this

(from line 268 to 278)

if ( '1' == $current_blog->deleted )
    	graceful_fail(__('This user has ...'));

For archived, deleted or spam blogs.

Maybe this can done with some graceful_redirection() function instead of graceful_fail()

The graceful_fail()just puts a text in a die()
    (wp-includes/wp-mufunctions.php linea 1605)

In some cases, maybe I want to create a redirection instead of a page that simple say
    "Moving along, nothing to see here"

And, thinking in the WPMU "motto", maybe someone move out from your free WPMU site, to a new blog (or domain) and like to keep a redirection in his old blog

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is this a question or a suggestion or...

Not sure what you're getting at. For us, we just dress it up a bit with part of the home theme and add in a link back to the home page.

3. ppriede
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is a suggestion. (tag: suggestion)

For example, if you put http://somesite.com/ with WPMU
    and find some SPAM blogs or maybe some user is not using the service you give, I found more usefull to make a redirection instead of a "Nothing" page

If you "dress it up a bit", is just a Fancy 404 page.

I found very usefull a 404 page that suggest something (for example look in the requested URL and search in the same blog looking for something similar), than a plain (or fancy) 404 page.

Or (better), you can redirect to a post where you put the deleted blogs or spam blogs, for example.

4. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Best bet would be to open up a trac ticket and suggest it there then.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org

Gotta admit though that I disagree. I'd rather have a landing page with a notice that it has been deleted. Throw in a link back to your home blog and get the linkage your spammer is sending that way.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by ppriede
  • Latest reply from theapparatus