The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

sidebar on custom template page (12 posts)

1. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

when a user is logged in to their blog, they get the sidebar they have created. when they click on a link to a custom page I created, they get the site's main sidebar. (normal behavior)

is there a way to maintain their custom sidebar when going to a custom page?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is the custom page on their blog?

If so, you forgot to widgetize the sidebar in the template.

3. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

no, the custom page is on the "main" blog. maybe I'm going about this wrong, because i want it to maintain their blog look/feel, but with this main page as a part of it. what's the best route to take?

4. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

i just re-read my comment and it was a bit confusing. let me try again.

i have a custom page that i want everyone to have access to. it has $variables so it will work with all blog users. i'm going to make a link to it on the main page, and the blogroll so they can get access to it. maybe even add a link in all headers. anyway, once they go to that page, it defaults back to the main page sidebar/theme. i want it to stay within their blog look/feel/sidebar/theme.

advice on how to do this?

i think this is more of a concept question than a coding question.

thanks for the attention to this!

5. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

ideas anyone?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

So... just to reiterate... you want them to visit a special page off the main blog, but have it look like their blog with their sidebar (no matter how much crap they have on it)?

7. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, exactly!

8. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

basically, the main window would have my custom page of data.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Easiest way would be to make a rewrite rule, then when the user goes to that page (which would actually be at their blog) it sets a custom template in that theme.

In that template, you then do something like include_once(ABSPATH . 'my-files/my-file.php').

From there, you only have to edit the 1 file for content, then that content is displayed within the users blog.

10. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

andrea_r,

i just re-read your statement, and i think i misled you a bit. let me try again.

i have a custom page that i want every blog user to have access too. I'd like for it to load in the main window of each users blog.

lunabyte,

thanks, does that advice still apply?

sorry, trying my best to be clear, but this one is difficult for me for some reason.

11. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

now that i think about it, having a link on the main blog won't let every blog user have access to it either. hmmm...

12. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Follow lunabyte's advice. :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by bschwarting
  • Latest reply from andrea_r