The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Previous Subdomains (23 posts)

1. rkalajian
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Before installing WPMU I had several other subdomains on our site. Now the WPMU is installed with Virtual Server support these other subdomains don't work anymore, I just get a message saying a blog with that name doesn't exist. Is there a way to get the old subdomains working nicely with WPMU?

2. dano1979
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Were the subdomains created with cpanel?

3. rkalajian
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

No...the subdomain records were created by hand for Apache 1.3 in OS X.

4. kahless
    Posted 18 years ago #

Mail me at kahless at mac.com and I can talk about how I have my Xserve set up. I have three sites running under the Apache 1.3 and wpmu is one of them. It will probably be VHost issue.

5. kyte
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm about to install MU on a site with subdomains created with cpanel...

Is there a problem with this? and a way round it? (the subdomains are not "mission critical" but I'd rather preserve them)

6. haalaaluu
    Posted 18 years ago #

It's no problem. You can control how many of your other custom subdomains under same TLD as WPMU installation. Just add your custom sudomain in ".htaccess" of root.
    for example: http://support.haalaaluu.com is running Phroum where http://haalaaluu.com is running WPMU. And locked "support" or whatever your custom subdomain in WPMU's MySQL through admin dashboard. And even addon domain cpanel function is also working. for example: http://nypmyanmar.com is add on of my main site.
    Good luck! :)

7. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

here is a silly question, what do you need to your .htaccess file??

8. haalaaluu
    Posted 18 years ago #

no problem. here, add the following setting accordingly after www rewrite rule.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} subdomain.maindomain.com
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !subdomain/
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ subdomain/$1 [L]

where your folder path:
    public_html/subdomain/

9. rkalajian
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Right now the subdomain I want to work is wiki.mydomain.org. All the site's files are kept in a directory called mydomain, which is MU's root. Under that folder is a folder called wiki.

Here's what I have added to mydomain/.htaccess:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} wiki.mydomain.org
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !wiki/
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ wiki/$1 [L]

It still doesn't work. I'm getting a "cannot find blog" error

10. rkalajian
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

AHA! Never you mind. Got it working now. For some reason I needed those lines in the .htaccess of my root and in the wiki folder. At least that's how it is now and it's working

11. gappiah
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yep .. got it working for me too. But I've a couple of folders. Is there a kind of shortcut to specify this for several folders, or do I have to add those all 3 lines for every folder? (of course with the right folder names :-) )

12. mozey
    Posted 17 years ago #

i'm using mu with subfolders. ANd i am getting the same user does'nt exisit at my
    /forums, any ideas?

13. imgoel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    i am installing WPMU on subdomain like: blogs.domain.com and the user is getting his/her blog on: user.blogs.domain.com.

but i dont want this. i want to give my users sub-domains like: user.domain.com

pls hlp...

14. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Install it in the site root.

Out of the box MU will append the username to whatever url you give it. Whether it is a subdomain or subdirectory type install.

It is possible to "circumvent" this for subdomains, but it is quite an advanced modification to the core that requires a very strong knowledge of php.

15. zetx
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi, for my forums subdomain I have this in its .htaccess as well as the root / directory

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} forums.domain.com
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !forums/
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ forums/$1 [L]

This works fine for the / page, but even if I go forums.domain.com/index.php where the same index page is, it'll go back to trying to ask if I want to sign up with a blog of that name.

What am I doing wrong?

(Sorry for bumping the rather old thread up, but it seemed like there was recent activity.)

16. zetx
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nevermind, I moved Rewrite things so it was right below the rewrite conditions for http://www.domain.com to domain.com and it worked fine. :\

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

And you added "forums" to the exclusion list of names under Site Admin-> Options?

18. zetx
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yup. Everything works fine now with it, but I have another question.

I have "add-on domains" and I haven't modified my htaccess for them, but if I don't add "www." before the domain it works fine, however if I go to "www.domain.com" it redirects me to "domain.com/domain.com"

This doesn't bother me very much, but if I wanted to fix it what would I need to do? (The domains' files are in a folder named domain.com in my public_html)

19. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

addons as in addon domains within your hoster's backend or addons within wpmu?

20. zetx
    Posted 17 years ago #

More like the former. I added them using cpanel.

21. malcs_64
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had a standalone blog at records.towerofbabel.com but now that I have an MU I decided to nuke it as well as that subdomain and just rebuild it in the MU but every time I try to establish "records." it never works, even though my host has set a wildcard DNS for it and apparently nothing else is wrong. Is there a conflict with previous subdomains being able to be used for new MU subdomains?

22. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

[Never mind]

23. malcs_64
    Posted 15 years ago #

Rightio.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by rkalajian
  • Latest reply from malcs_64