The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

help with install of wpmu (13 posts)

1. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

So I think i did this part correct..
    "# Unzip into your web directory. It'll create a wordpress-mu-... directory, change that name to wpmu or copy the files to the root of your webserver.
    # Open that location in your browser through your webserver. Follow the instructions."
    this is where it is... and i renamed it like it suggested:

/nameofmysite.com/blog/wpmu

but when i copy the path from my ftp i get this error in the browser:
    The requested URL /blog/wpmu/ was not found on this server.

Help

2. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

am I not in the correct forum? I'm sorry I dont know all the terminology but could really use some help on this?? thnx

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Put the unzipped files right in the folder where you want the main index to be.

4. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

alright, i thought i did that i dragged and dropped "wordpress-mu-1.3" into, well the path shows:
    alvardo.generichost.com
    sitename.com
    blog
    wpmu

then i renamed it wpmu. which one should it go into? and thank you so much for responding.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You want to put everything (files and filder) that is *under* the "wordpress-mu-1.3" into the blog folder. Preferrably, I'd like to see it in the root (public_html) folder. That's the main one to sitename.com.

6. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Now i get this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_die() in /home/.enkidu/alona/mysitename.com/blog/wordpress-mu-1.3/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 475

when I hit submit? waa lol help?

7. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

andrea? is it possible to speak with you on an instant messenger program? I'd be ever so grateful. thnx

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are you following the instructions in the readme?

Edit: I don;t have any IMs installed, sorry.

9. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well if i understood any of it i would but i dont so i came here. Maybe there is a number i could call? I am so at the point of being willing to pay someone for help with this. Can you point me in the right direction?

thnx again

10. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://incsub.com/

I have to admit though that if you're having problems with installing the software, you're going to have worse problems further down the road. Please take a second and read the first portion of the readme file. To run wpmu, you need experience and feel comfortable with running server level software. Not trying to be insulting or anything. Being honest here.

11. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

thank you and no offense taken, i just want to be able to have several people sign into their own blog under mine. Isnt that what mpmu is for? thnx

12. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's more for setting up something like wordpress.com or blogger. You should look into Moveable Type or Lifetype maybe.

13. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

um? ok maybe i'll just give up for now.. but thank you all for ur advice and help.

About this Topic