The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Bug report - use of WPMU 1.3 and WP Mobile Edition plugin causes theme to reset (4 posts)

1. DanYork
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not precisely sure how bugs get reported in WordPress (I'm new to running a WPMU server), so I'll report one here.

I'm using WordPress MU 1.3, freshly installed, configured to support subdirectories. On the "home" site, I am using the xMark theme ( http://blogdesignsolutions.com/ ). Curious to try it out, I installed the "WordPress Mobile Edition" from Alex King's site at:

http://alexking.org/projects/wordpress

The plugin installed fine into the plugins directory (not mu-plugins). It activated fine for the main blog. Everything looked good.

However, when I went to my Blackberry 8830 and then tested the site by going into the Blackberry web browser and entering the site URL... the theme reset to the WordPress mu Default 1.6 theme.

After I reset it to the xMark theme, any visit to the site by the Blackberry browser would again reset the theme to the WordPress mu Default. To rule out that it was an xMark issue, I tried applying other themes and had the identical result. As soon as a Blackberry visit hit the site, it reset to the default.

In case it was an issue with the main home site, I also activated the plugin for a blog on the server that used the Tarski theme. I entered that URL (with a subdirectory) into the Blackberry browser and once again the site was reset to the default theme.

I do not have any other mobile devices with a web browser to test from (and the site is currently in development so I can't point to it).

Obviously I'm deactivating (and in fact removing) the plugin for the moment. I will also send Alex King an email pointing to this forum post. I just thought I would post so that others might be aware of the issue.

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org please. For reference, it's mentioned in the readme file included with the compressed download.

When you say the theme reverts, does it actually revert from that point on when anyone visits the blog in question or just via the blackberry?

3. DanYork
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay.... nevermind. Rate this one as PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

I failed to copy the "wp-mobile" directory that comes with the plugin over into the Themes directory. Once I did that, it worked fine.

While I had figured that out (after re-reading the README) and was testing it, Alex King also emailed a reply. Kudos to him for such a fast response.

4. DanYork
    Posted 16 years ago #

theapparatus - it did revert from that point on for all visitors on all browsers. It stayed in the WP MU default theme until I changed it to some other theme in the admin interface.

I should have mentioned that the failure condition on the Blackberry was that all you saw was a completely blank white screen. No text at all.

Anyway, as soon as I had the wp-mobile directory over in the themes directory, everything worked fine.

About this Topic