The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do I get List-All plugins to work? (15 posts)

1. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

I saw a thread that mentioned these plugins but didn't really address how to get them to work. So instead of hijacking that thread I figured I should start my own, since it goes on a bit of a tangent.

Down to business. I'm trying to get these two plugins to work on a page, either separate or on the same one.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All-Posts
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All

The problem is that I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried Exec-php and inline-php, but the php gets stripped out. Anyone have any success getting the List-All plugins to work?

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Stick the code directly in the template, not in an entry.

3. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do I need to create another page in the template that I am currently using or what? I'm not proficient, but I can navigate my way around php code if necessary. Like you mentioned in another post, the folks that made the plugins need to provide a little more info than just the short blurb.

Thanks again

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, create a page template. You kno whow do to that, right? ;)

As for plugins and stuff, most of them out there are pretty self-explanitory, evne the ones that are straightforward assume you, the site admin, know how to place a php call in a file wherever you want it. The code bits someone dumped in the codex? Those are a mess.

5. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, I have to admit, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I've taken a peek at it in the codex, but it's still a bit fuzzy. Can anyone point me to an example perhaps?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

- take a copyof the page.php file of your template
    - strip the_loop out of it
    - change theline at the top to call it whatever template instea dof Page (like members or whatever)
    - add the call to the function in that spot
    ( '<?php function_name_here ?> ' )
    - save it as members.php (an example. pick something that doesn't exist already and that you can remember)
    - go to Write -> Page, put in a title, choose the page tmeplate members from the list on the right (one of the blue boxes)

Man, I should write this up as a tutorial...

7. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r. You're right, with as many people ask this, it would be helpful to have as a tutorial - or a prebuilt/prepackaged page ;)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, MU is a step up from regular Wordpress, so if you don't know how to do a lot of things in that, then there's a steeper learning curve.

And really, the process I mentioned is already in the wp codex. It just doesn't have an MU-specific example is all.

9. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm... I created the members.php from page.php, but it wasn't showing up in the templates. After looking at one that was available I found that I had to add this little snippet at the top:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Members
    */
    ?>

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, that was my step 3 up there.

11. javafiend
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh yeah, look at that. I must have overlooked that line. Why did the template name have to be commented out? Is it a function of the template parser?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep.

13. javafiend
    Posted 15 years ago #

I hate to resurrect this old thread, but I updated my themes and lost my page :(

I started going through the steps andrea_r posted, but when I came to the last part - Write -> Page, put in a title, choose the page template members from the list on the right (one of the blue boxes) - I couldn't seem to find the box to choose the template.

I upgraded my mu installation to the most recent version, I think. It's kinda hard to tell what version it is since the version number doesn't seem to be displayed anywhere.

Anyway, though, can anyone assist? Thanks!

14. javafiend
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nevermind... I guess I had to upload the template first before the Templates box would become available.

Oh well, hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.

15. javafiend
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here is my listall.php for reference and criticism.

<?php
    /*

Template Name: List All

*/
    ?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="content" class="narrowcolumn">

<h2>Recently updated user blogs</h2>

<div class="entry">
    <?php list_all_wpmu_blogs('500', 'name', '', '', 'blog_name'); ?>
    </div>

<h2>Recent posts</h2>