The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

adding a new category (16 posts)

1. avabama
    Posted 16 years ago #

when i try to add a new category i keep getting this message:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /blogs/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

help!

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"*sigh*

Reading the readme.txt file included with your download, especially the bit about how to report problems and what information is needed, would be a plus."

3. avabama
    Posted 16 years ago #

i've read the readme.txt file.. several times. i've also searched google for answers on this since i can't seem to find them here. i'm using mu 1.3. whenever i try to add a new category through the manage menu on the admin account(or any other) or delete a page or post i get the same message:
    You don't have permission to access /blog/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

i have tried turning off plugins to see if that is the problem but it had no effect. the path to my blog is mydomainname.com/blog/. i've tried lookin at the ajax file itself and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. i am not by any means an expert with wordpress, which is why i came here for support. i would really appreciate any support and not snarky comments mocking lack of wordpress knowledge. i've posted here all the information about the problem that i know.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"...and not snarky comments mocking lack of wordpress knowledge.

Then you didn't read the readme file, or at least comprehend what it said.

For starters, it reads:

"If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst."

Second:

"Please read http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU before asking any questions. Without all the information required there we'll just ask for it anyway or worse, your request will be ignored."

MU is Server level software. It requires certain skills, as it clearly states, which are of the utmost importance. This is especially true when trying to troubleshoot.

So, my comments were not snarky at all. They were spot on.

Now, if you're running WordPress, you're not even in the right forum. If that's the case, you need more help than any of us here would be willing to give. Normally people can find the right forum to ask for support.

However, since you said you've "read the readme.txt file.. several times", we should know what version of MU you're running and where we could take a look at it to potentially verify problems.

Yet... we have no information to go on at all.

OS? Web server brand and version? PHP version? MySQL version? Nope. Nothing.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"You don't have permission to access /blog/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Do those files exist on the server and do they have the right permissions?

6. LunaByteMe
    Posted 16 years ago #

make sure all mu files on server

7. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU is Server level software. It requires certain skills, as it clearly states, which are of the utmost importance. This is especially true when trying to troubleshoot.

its a good thing Mu doesn't depend on Luna to market this product. i've never encountered anyone so dead set on running off anyone with less that expert knowledge of a subject. maybe the rest of you are ok with it, but i think it's disgusting. how many threads on this forum get hijacked by luna's rudeness? so what exactly is the purpose of this forum if it isn't to ask for help?

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst.

this isn't a support forum. this is a forum for cats like Luna to get their tired shots in on those of us who has lesser knowledge. not all of us are full time geeks, some of us are still students. asking questions is part of the learning process.

the attitude is so bad in this forum that mods from other platforms sneak in shots on us. I'm a supporter of Mu. I kinda hoped that meant something to someone somewhere. now if the Powers-that-be don't care to build any sort of community or that lesser platforms are mocking them, then ignore my little rant. hey, i've rewritten the codex so no one will confuse this place with a support venue:

If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://squarespace.com/ and sign yourself and your friends.

It's easier in the long run, it does everything Mu does for half the angst and and no one will mock you for asking for help.

8. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do those files exist on the server and do they have the right permissions?

Actually that usually means it's looking for an error_log file within root to make a report. It's not finding one so it throws that up there.

9. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

maybe the rest of you are ok with it, but i think it's disgusting. how many threads on this forum get hijacked by luna's rudeness?

@demonicume

Unfortunately, that's not going to change, so the best thing to do (in my opinion) is either just ignore it or give it right back (like you did here...well done!) I prefer giving it right back...bullies don't handle it very well when they're pushed back ;-).

So, don't leave the forums...there are a lot of us around here with "lesser knowledge" willing to help when we can...of course, we don't "live here" and act like we own the place, but we check-in and help when we can. You've provided a lot of help here in the past as well, so keep doing it.

If you leave, you're doing exactly what the bullies want.

Steve

10. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

avabama, everything in your second post should have been contained within your first post. Since you didn't include it, you were directed to the readme file and the debugging script linked within it. There's even a bit on that page that covers this:

If you post a message to the forum saying, "my blog doesn't work! Please help!!!" you will be pointed at this page. Please don't regard this as being unhelpful, we're trying to help you help yourself.

If you took offense to that, maybe you should reread that bit that I just copied. As Luna mentions, you didn't include any information within your post for us to help you with. That's your fault. Has nothing to do with wordpress or any other software. It was an issue with you not providing the necessary information. That's why Luna copied what he did.

Would folks rather us just not post where they need to go to to get help? Have the threads go unanswered? That sounds like what you folks want us to do.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Both y'all can ignore all you want. Your prerogative.

However, you tell me this.

What's better in the long run?

Someone being honest, and letting someone know that they may be in over their head, or someone getting babied for a couple steps before they find out and get so disgusted with the software because they don't understand it? In turn, they blame the software, and blame WordPress as a whole.

To me, I think someone should know what they're getting into. If they wish to continue, then at least they know what's going to be involved.

But hey, if you two want to support other folks users because they can't, power to ya. Most people have better things to do.

If you two don't like blatant honesty, tough. Honestly, I don't care.

I don't mind helping people one bit, but when they tell you that they've read the readme file, but still can't provide anything of real value for troubleshooting, it's not a crime to ask for it.

Either way, I'll continue to make sure people know what they are getting into, and if they're willing to learn it that's fine. Never said that it wasn't. But, at least someone had the courage to let them know, instead of sugar coating a spoonful of Gerber, and letting them get even more frustrated later on, when they could have been learning new skills, which would have allowed them to better work with their site.

12. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Both y'all can ignore all you want. Your prerogative.

Who said you were going to be ignored?...you may want to take your own advice and re-read my post...I'm not going to ignore you...that would be rude ;-)

What's better in the long run?

Someone being honest, and letting someone know that they may be in over their head, or someone getting babied for a couple steps before they find out and get so disgusted with the software because they don't understand it? In turn, they blame the software, and blame WordPress as a whole.

Here is your assignment...read the information at the link below and see if you can think of more options: http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/fd.htm

Tip...one is "be nice"...ready when you are ;-)

Steve

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Steve wrote: "... so the best thing to do (in my opinion) is either just ignore it..."

And sorry, but I have no assignment. I'm not one of your students.

In turn, I keep my stance of an informed user has a better chance at success.

14. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Who said you were going to be ignored?

Um, you did.

so the best thing to do (in my opinion) is either just ignore it

one is "be nice"...ready when you are

Anyone else getting tired of ekusteve's own trolling? Mark booted one yesterday. Can we have a second one please?

How many times do we have to complain about Steve's near constant attacks before someone at Automattic actually steps up and decides that doing something besides paying lip service to "no personal attacks" is warrented? It would be a welcomed surprise.

15. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

How many times do we have to complain

@theapparatus

I don't remember you ever complaining about my rudeness? Am I missing something???

Steve

16. podz
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

There is history at play here, and it is something that I do not have the time or inclination to dig through but likewise people maybe do not have the inclination to just drop it and move on.

As for the OP, yes it was insufficient information but hopefully they will now know not just to search but to say they have searched and what they have tried. Asking for help is also something learned, just like replying correctly is. And people who are frustrated / annoyed / under pressure / feeling lost (and we have all been there) typically post some of the worst requests. It's how it is.

About this Topic