The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Frontpage like wordpress.com in Wpmu (13 posts)

1. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello, I'm an user of wordpress and now i'm developing a blog plattform using Wpmu because i love Wp.
    But i've tried several times to set manually with some plugin and some extra code the frontpage to display the info like wordpress.org main page. But it was "impossible" to develop something like this.

I believe that Wpmu is a great script for a blog plattform, but other like Lifetype http://lifetype.net/ (for example) has got one advantage: the main page creates community feeling and displays the recents posts, most active blogs, etc without any code work on it. Here is a demo: http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=330&Itemid=159

so i hope somebody can help me and all the community using Wpmu and tell us how to display this important info on the frontpage like the site wordpress.com displays it.

Thanks a lot, and i'm waiting a response from you! ;)

Regards

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

You may want to search the forums as 'most active blogs' (depending on what you judge as 'most active') and 'latest posts' have been discussed previously and at great length.

edit: Most active blogs is called with the function call get_most_active_blogs(); For the latest posts, use the wpmufeed plugin and pull it in with the fetch_rss function call.

3. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks theapparatus,

But i want to display this info iand when i tried i don't konw how to do it because it fails.

1. display last Post of 10 lastest blogs updated.
    Each post must display:
    a) title of the post
    b) intro of the post (may be 100 or 200 letters)
    c) avatar of each blog
    d) link to the full post
    e) link to the blog
    f) link to the category of the post
    g) number of commets and link to comment
    h) date of post
    i) name of the author of the post

2. Display the lastest "10" comments to all blog plattform

3. Display the most active posts or most active blogs, for example "10".

This is what other blogging cms plattforms give without any code edit, for example lifetype.

It is possible to display these info? How?

Finally in your answer, can you explain more detailed how to do the second part of the answer, at the "edit" point.

I've lloked into this phorum but i've didn't find the solution.

Thanks, i hope Wpmu can do this because it's necessary to display a full frontpage to transmit a community feeling of all blogs hosted in one wpmu installation.

Regards and i'm waiting a response from you! ;)

Thanks

4. Iron
    Posted 16 years ago #

Someone paid me to do this ^^
    I dont think you will get a tutorial if this is what are you waiting for.
    Look over wpmu-functions.php file, wpmudev.org, and search this forum.
    You will not need any file edit but some plugins.

5. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, thanks!

Can you tell me what plugins is necessary to use?

May be with this i can resolve it or may be try it! ;) But it's better to know wich one of the plugins are.

Can you show us your project with this functions?

Thanks!

6. storpappa
    Posted 16 years ago #

Without having looked into it myself, you need to just start with the first 10 posts then ru through each of those blogs and pull the supporting details in your list by blog id with a default value if they do not have anything set for it.

7. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

For the last 10 comments, search the forums for the wpmufeed plugin as that will do it for you. Pages and Posts as well.

Most active posts and blogs have been discussed before and it's a matter of what you consider "most active." Some folks concider views to count while others feel the number of actual posts determine who's the most active.

You may want to look over wpmudev.org for plugins that you can use.

8. Iron
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's it.

Basically every thing is possible. Some functions exists and are already discussed.
    You may search for each thing you need. For the rest, you will need to code it yourself.

9. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks a lot for your answers! ;)

Reading it i can understand that is simple to set the lists of "most active blogs" and "recent comments" because there are plugins to show it that can be edited like i want to how my data.

But in my case i want to show at the frontpage this info like other systems like lifetype.net or pages like wordpress.com shows:

Each post must display:
    a) title of the post
    c) avatar of each blog
    d) link to the full post
    e) link to the blog
    h) date of post

And for this i don't find how to do it. Can you explain us if this it's possible and the main rules to do it?

I've looked into this forum but i did not find it. I've just find to use the wpmufeed plugin to show a similar info like i want but i suppose there is other ways to show it.

Thanks!

Waiting a response from you.

ps:

theapparatus: what does this mean? "For the latest posts, use the wpmufeed plugin and pull it in with the fetch_rss function call."

storpappa: can you explain more detailed your solution? i'm not english and may be i don't understand you. :(

Iron: can you show me the project you've developed? May be i can be interested in your services.

Waiting a response from you, thanks!

10. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

theapparatus: what does this mean? "For the latest posts, use the wpmufeed plugin and pull it in with the fetch_rss function call."

You asked to be pointed to a plugin that would display the last 10 comments sitewide. I did so. The wpmufeed plugin will do that for you. It will create the feed and then via using the fetch_rss fucntion, you can get it to display. You can see how the function is used on the wp-admin/index-extra.php file.

11. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks theapparatus, so i understand that using wpmufeed i can display the last 10 comments sitewide. But not the posts.
    Is this ok?
    So with this i can display this data: 2. Display the lastest "10" comments to all blog plattform.

Is this ok?

If i'm right with this plugin wpmuffed i can display the last 10 comments, and with get_most_active_blogs() display the most active blogs.
    So with your help i've resolved (not yet on the web) the points 2 and 3 from my second post in this forum.
    (where can i download this plugin wpmufeed?, in wpmudev does not appear)

But in my case i want to display at the frontpage this info like other systems like lifetype.net or pages like wordpress.com shows:

Each post must display:
    a) title of the post
    c) avatar of each blog
    d) link to the full post
    e) link to the blog
    h) date of post

And for this i don't find how to do it. Can you explain us if this it's possible and the main rules to do it?

I've looked into this forum but i did not find it. I've just find to use the wpmufeed plugin to show a similar info like i want but i suppose there is other ways to show it.

Thanks!

Waiting a response from you. Thanks!

12. indojepang
    Posted 16 years ago #

13. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

Try looking at http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com. Lots of nifty plugins there.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by dinamic
  • Latest reply from nolageek