The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgraded from 1.2.5 to 1.3 categories are gone! (14 posts)

1. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I upgraded wordpress mu from 1.2.5 to 1.3 this is what I did.

I download 1.3 from the site.

I unzipped the folder and copied its contents to my www folder on the server (where the previous wordpress version was.) I said yes to all when it asked about overwriting.

I then copied the themes folder from a backup i did and overwrote the 2.3 themes folder (so my themes would not change).

I then went to the admin panel and clicked the upgrade site link and it did its thing.

Everything seems good except the categories all gone, and I get this error when I try to add a new category.

"Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in E:\wamp\www\wp-admin\includes\template.php on line 52

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at E:\wamp\www\wp-admin\includes\template.php:52) in E:\wamp\www\wp-includes\classes.php on line 738"

What wrong, I really need to get this fixed really soon.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

3. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

that looks outdated. Wasn't that script included in the 1.3 version of wordpress mu.

It also looks really confusing, I need a easy to understand fix for this.

Thanks,
    Ben

4. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Easiest way to check is to open up your database and see if the database tables have categories or taxonomy in their name. If it's categories, you need to run the upgrade script.

5. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

they are called wp_12_categories.

So they did not get upgraded

Clicked on the upgrade link in the admin panel.

Is there another script that I have to run?

6. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

@projectdesigns

I think your problem may be due to overwriting the existing 1.2.5 files. The best way to upgrade is to simply create a new directory called something like OLDMU and drag all your existing (old) files into that directory. Then upload your new (1.3) files so that you don't have to overwrite anything. Then move your old httaccess and config.php file to the new root. Also, move your blogs.dir to the new install along with any custom themes and plugins.

If you simply overwrite existing files, then you stand the change of having duplicate files since some files in 1.3 were moved to different locations.

Steve

7. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there another script that I have to run?

Yes, you need to follow the instructions within the thread I pointed you to. The tables were realigned and renamed with the 1.3 upgrade.

8. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I mad a copy of the mu 1.2.5 files before I did the upgrade. So reverted everything back to the way it was before. Then I did the upgrade like you said.

I ran the upgrade script in the admin panel.

The categories are still gone and I still can't add new categories to existing blogs.

Whats wrong?

Ben

9. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you're still seeing mysql tables with categories within the name, you haven't run the upgrade I pointed you to. It's seperate from the one on the admin side.

10. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah Im still seeing the categories tables. However the script you pointed me to doesn't exist anymore. It was created before version 1.3 came out. It should have been incorporated in Version 1.3

11. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

I understand now, hold on.

12. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Link

There's download links at the bottom of that page.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll make a note of the correct link in that thread.

13. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok it said to use this on a test server, I dont have a test server. Is this script safe to use?

14. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I can't figure this out. I followed the instructions but I don't see a site_options table in the DB. Someone said to use site_meta I click on that and the colum names are: meta_id, site_id meta_key, meta_value. Which on of those has the secret taxonomy key. Also I am using MySQL administrator and can't figure out how to read any of the data in a table.

Can some one give me a clear set of instructions.

Thanks,
    Ben

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by projectdesigns
  • Latest reply from projectdesigns