The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Future Time Stamped Post not Posting (14 posts)

1. lcornwell
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could use a bit of help here if someone's got a few minutes.
    One of my clients today emailed me and let me know that if they edit the timestamp, then the post will not automatically appear when the time has passed. The clock is set appropriately, and I have done my own test multiple times. They are correct. If you edit the timestamp for a future post, that time comes and goes and nothing is posted.

Running php5 and mysql4 and mu version 1.2.4

Has this happened to anyone else?? Should I be checking anything specific??

Thanks for the help - Luke

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Make sure the right time zone is picked, is all I can think of.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Make sure you're seeing wp-cron.php being accessed as well in your webserver's logs. Note that it will only be run if the blog in question is seeing traffic.

What is happening with the post? Is it showing up on the manage page and just not showing up on the blog side?

4. lcornwell
    Posted 16 years ago #

Theapparatus - Yes...it is showing up in the manage side, but not publicly posting.

Server time is correct along with the Time Zone. We made sure that the DNS is working properly, allowing it to view itself through the firewall and that seems to be working.

our network admin and I will check to make sure that the wp-cron is running and get back.

Any other ideas??

5. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am also having this issue with wpmu-1.3.3.

$ date
    Sat May  3 09:34:01 PDT 2008

SunOS flog1 5.10 Generic_127112-07 i86pc
    PHP Version 5.2.5
    MySQL Version 5.0.51a

UTC time: 2008-05-03 4:34:07 pm
    Times in the blog should differ by: -7 (Pacific Daylight Time)

(I recently changed this value from -8 to -7 after realizing that PDT warranted the change.)

Clay

6. aaron_guitar
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm having this problem with WPMU 1.5.1. The time counts down in the manage panel and when the time passes it starts counting up again (1 min from now, 2 min from now, so on)

The server setup is Ubuntu 6.3, PHP 5.2.3, MySQL 5.0.45

My timezone settings are correct. Anybody have any insight?

7. aaron_guitar
    Posted 15 years ago #

Going through the WordPress forum I tracked down the problem to the wp-cron.php file not executing. I commented the conditionals that exit out of the script if it's accessed directly and when I accessed it the pending posts were published. So now I just need to figure out why wp-cron.php isn't being executed. I've checked my logs and nothing is showing up.

Any ideas?

8. aaron_guitar
    Posted 15 years ago #

I take that back. Running wp-cron.php directly worked on only one of the blogs (a test blog). On the live blog it just kept waiting for the script to load. I removed all cron options from the options table but it still didn't work.

9. aaron_guitar
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can anyone help me out here?

10. Bike
    Posted 15 years ago #

I cannot help, but to refer to an older post of mine, I think about a year ago.

The same happened to me and I could not find a good reason. Somehow a few weeks later the problem disappeared, likely due to toi some VPS updates my host made, so likely it is a server set-up thingie..

Just my 0.02cts, cheers, Bike

11. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

The issue ended up relating to an internal DNS issue. Since wp-cron.php involves sending an HTTP request back to itself (needed because of the virtual/wildcard nature of WPMU runnning via subdomains), it had trouble finding itself on the internal DNS and never completed the 'wp-cron' task.

NOTE: The above explanation is somewhat simplified.

Hope this helps.

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you have to do anything editing of the files to get it to work? The reason why I ask is that it's an occasional wordpress (and mu and wp.com) issue that appears from time to time.

13. bslezak
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can someone explain the operation of wp-cron? How it is called, and what path is attempting to be accessed? I understand that it is supposed to fire through typical usage of the back end. I have no wp-cron.php hits in my access log or error log.

DNS may very well be our problem, but I can find zero documentation on how to make sure this is set up properly.

Any help appreciated.

14. yokyek
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by lcornwell
  • Latest reply from yokyek