The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Changing the default homepage to my WPMu site (10 posts)

1. wordpressbob
    Posted 16 years ago #

Depending on the theme I present, I'm getting various "homepage" looks for my Mu site.

What I want to do is make it look like a generic login page and not my (main admin) blogs in the home page. I would like "featured" blogs somewhere, but I want the login prominent and maybe an RSS feed to the latest news.

I want to set it up so it kind of looks like a social networking site with the option for people to click on the "latest blogs" or "most read blogs". Something along the lines of a myspace style login, where they can go straight to their own blog but can see a featured video, news article or what not also.

Is there something out there anyone is using that works like this?

If anyone has examples of what they are doing, that would also be nice to look at.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You'll have to take a theme or layout close to what you want, and then customize it to your needs yourself.

Most of those sections you're looking at is done with various plugins and custom coding.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

May want to search the forums as well because things like "latest blogs" and the like have been discussed previously a number of times. May have to click the google link as you've probably pushed the answers back even further now I'm sorry to say.

4. plusarquitectura
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea, it is obvious that I will have to edit code, the problem is that I don't know how to edit it in order to achieve, let's say, to place posts per blog per column. It will be hard to find an answer if I don't know what I am looking for...

5. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

Of course, if you want your main page to be static, your WordPress install shouldn't be installed at the top level (easy solution). So, your http://www.domain.xyz would be your static page, and http://www.domain.xyz/blog would be your blog.

6. plusarquitectura
    Posted 16 years ago #

uscommonsense, I didn't think of creating a static page, but it may be a good idea.

In case I created a static page, I have some questions:

1. The WP install has to be in top level, so I should create a specific theme for it. If I have a file called home.htm in the theme's folder, I guess it will be opened before index.php, right?

2. How can I insert a feed in a htm page?

Thank you very much

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

*aighs*

If you don;t even know how WP works, this is going to be VERY DIFFICULT for you. Seriousl;y. To fully answer your question with step-by steps, will take be a good hour at least.

The collums you want? CSS formatting.

Static pages? WP does that. make a home.php file, stick it in your theme folder, add whatever you want. use code formt he theme to make it look the same.

Read the codex - codex.wordpress.org. most of what you want is not MU-specific in terms of layout.

There's all kinds of ways to pull a fee dinto a page. Parsing is one, and a zillion sites out there, including feedburner, will whip up a little bit of code to pull whatever feed you want so you can paste it wherever you like.

8. plusarquitectura
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea, I feel confused with your attitude, it seems that you were forced to answer but you really didn't want to do it and you feel as if you were losing time. I don't want to make anyone lose their time with solving my doubts, but I would like some kind of help with it.

In my oppinion, if someone answers a question in a forum is either because he/she knows the answer and/or has time to answer and/or feels that has some useful information to provide.

Seriously, you complaint about not having too much to answer but you spend some time in writing something that really doesn't say almost anything. If you don't want to "lose" time, don't even answer, but if you do, please, provide useful information. ;)

I don't want you to do all the job for me (I see that you offer paid services, and that would be -I guess- one of them), but when you say things like:

<i>"The collums you want? CSS formatting."</i> You could add something like the tag that can be used in CSS or something. I don't know much about it, but I know enough to know that CSS is the solution, but that's like saying "you may find the answer in the encyclopedia or in google", don't you think so?

And about inserting a feed: you say there're several ways to do it, but you don't mention any. Well, yes, you provide a service from Feedburner, which, despite being the easiest way to do it, I don't want to use it because I don't want the feedburner logo be displayed.

PS: I'm not an English speaker, so this text may have sounded too rude or hard. That was not my intention at all, so forgive me if I have been rude.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I sound testy, it's because your questions have been asked and answered multiple times within this forum (and on the web in general) and could have been covered had you searched first.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll have to agree with Andrea.

It looks like you may need to spend some time getting comfortable with WordPress. Not that that's a bad thing, but as this is built around that, and is server level software, spending endless hours hashing out "the basics" just isn't something most regular volunteers here condone.

That being said, getting a good grasp on CSS, HTML/XHTML, PHP, MySQL and basic server operations would be a good place to start.

Also, the codex has quite a lot of pertinent information as well.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by wordpressbob
  • Latest reply from lunabyte