The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Showing stuff on all blogs throughout system (3 posts)

1. jmwebguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just want to confirm my thoughts on how to make things appear across all blogs in my system.

1)
    If I want a page, text, etc to appear on all blogs throughout my system, do I need to modify the template that is used on all the blogs? If yes, then I can also assume it would be in my best interest to make those changes across all themes I allow users to choose. Correct?

2)
    If I want a link to my site to appear in all Blogrolls, how do I do that?

3)
    Along the same lines as #1, if I want to include a banner ad space in the sidebar of all my blog sites, I assume the best way is to hardcode this in the theme code, correct?

2. jmwebguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

No help??

3. trivum
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not the expert on this stuff, but I've played with my own site and found that hardcoding the themes usually does the trick. I'm not sure how you would add your site to each blogroll in the usual way and have it so that it couldn't be deleted unless you didn't allow your users access to the blogroll (something I assume you don't want to do). What you could do is simply hardcode that into each theme as well. Put your link under the title for "Blogroll" and it should get formatted by the CSS and look just like a regular link (I'm guessing).

I would suggest just playing around with things to see what works. That's what I do. I end up learning something too, and then with that knowledge I get new ideas about other things that I never would have thought of.

About this Topic