The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

No categories after upgrade to 1,3 (21 posts)

1. JohnA
    Posted 16 years ago #

Situation: Upgraded my MU site to version 1.3.

Lost all categories and blogrolls disappeared from all blogs.

Went through the forums and discovered the "?upgradetaxonomy=1" and "?upgradetaxonomy=<secret key>" palaver. Script reports "All Done!"

Still no categories or tags. Still cannot create categories on any blog.

Cannot convert categories to tags as there are no categories to convert!

What's going on? What can I do to fix it?

TIA

2. JohnA
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh and adding tags to posts doesn't work either.

3. JohnA
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bump

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not sure what the problem with a few people upgrading to 1.3 is, but there shouldn't be a need for running the "beta" file referenced in that thread as of the official 1.3 release.

The only problem I can think of is if PHP is running out of memory. Other than that, after trying for a couple weeks off and on to make it have a problem, I haven't been able to do it.

It's no different than upgrading has been in the past. Just delete everything with the exception of /wp-content, .htaccess, and wp-config.php, and then upload the new files from 1.3. Then, run upgrade under your site admin tab.

That's all that's needed.

Best advice is to restore your site to its state previous to your upgrade attempts, verify it is working, then try again (paying close attention to what you're doing, and what I listed above).

5. JohnA
    Posted 16 years ago #

Its got to be worth a go, I suppose.

6. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I tried exactly what lunabyte said to do - and the system just isn't upgrading. It's so odd! No new tables are created, etc...

Is there anywhere I can find the MySQL query code to implement in my database manually to fix this problem? (e.g. update the database with the new tables, etc...)

Any other thoughts on why this isn't working?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

And there's nothing in error logs? If not, I'd turn on error reporting and try it again, just to see.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, without knowing any of your system details, it is possible that it may be related to this particular ticket.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/539

Could you download the latest zip from Trac, and try upgrading with that?

I was able to reproduce this (kind of). The upgrade was ok, but it wouldn't create new tables for a blog.

This particular fix corrected that. It may be something related, and at least worth a shot.

9. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Now if I understand the nightly build correctly - does it mean that this fix will be added to the 1.3 Download on the download page tonight? Is that how a nightly build works? Or do I just download the latest 1.3 Version from the /tags/ Trac - as you said I should?

And thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Christian

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, it doesn't work like that.

The download page is the latest "release", which is updated occasionally. It isn't updated nightly.

If you want the latest source, you can go to Trac, click browse source, then trunk, and then at the very bottom of the page there's a zip archive link.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk

I can't guarantee that will correct your issue, as that problem was introduced into the trunk after the actual 1.3 release. However, with similar circumstances, it may work.

If not, there's something very weird with your setup.

11. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just tried the fix, with a clean install - didn't work. BUT, I did get the following error message as the Upgrade was cycling through the blogs. This error message was located on each blog as the page cycled.

Warning: fopen(http://sleddoggin.com/blogs/ellensusan/wp-admin/upgrade.php?step=1) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Connection refused in /home/sleddog-admin/public_html/blogs/wp-admin/wpmu-upgrade-site.php on line 31

That line looks like this:

$fp = fopen( $siteurl . "wp-admin/upgrade.php?step=1", "r" );

So it looks as if though the upgrade script isn't even running at all - and isn't being connected. Do you have an idea what this may be caused by?

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

[function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Connection refused

Means (most likely) that accessing a url with fopen isn't allowed, or the incoming connection isn't being allowed.

Can you visit the backend of each blog, and does it upgrade at that time?

13. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

No - I tried going to the backend of each blog, and that didn't work either. Is the failing to open stream something I can ask my host about?

14. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep.

15. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ha ha! All I had to do was call the upgrade script by hand. Amazing! I FINALLY got version 1.3 to work, and update the blogging system. Wow, after hours and hours of tinkering, backing up - restoring, etc...it was just this simple.

All I had to do was append this to the end of each blog url:

wp-admin/upgrade.php?step=1

Granted I DID have to run this upgrade for EACH blog, but I am lucky as I only have around 30 blogs at this time.

It's absolutely amazing. So excited to use the new system! Hopefully this little insight might help others to fix your problems! It looks as if though my server just didn't allow fopen. Hhmm. I will ask them about that.

Thanks for all of your guy's help!

Christian

16. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

One more problem I am having now is that the posts now contain lots of broken links and ? marks. Is there a fix for that somewhere that I am missing? Can't seem to find it on the forums. Thanks! Other than that - all new tables were created, and everything is working as smoothly as butter. Thank you WordPress MU team! This software is amazing!

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

This link may be of some use to you, Christian.

MySQL Database Migration and Special Characters

By default, WP (and therefore MU) exerts the mighty UTF-8 on your database, and when your database isn't 100% UTF-8 compliant character codes, it spits out weird stuff.

18. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could I use the following code to alter all of my wp_ tables and convert them to UTF8?

ALTER wp_(what's the wildcard symbol that goes here?) CHARACTER SET utf8;

What would be the correct code to convert all tables with the prefix wp_ to the correct character set and collate values?

I am using MySQL Version 4.0

19. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're on 4.0?

Not at least 4.1?

Ouch.

20. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed. 4.0 isn't even on the download page anymore.

You may want to search via google for a convert script. (ie Latin -> utf8) The code you list, while will change the way the database is setup, will not change the contents of the database.

21. JohnA
    Posted 16 years ago #

hhuskies:

All I had to do was append this to the end of each blog url:

wp-admin/upgrade.php?step=1

That worked!

I am relieved.

About this Topic