The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

ERROR: WordPress requires Cookies but your browser does not support them or they (17 posts)

1. dunker
    Posted 16 years ago #

ERROR: WordPress requires Cookies but your browser does not support them or they are blocked.

--

That error I get when I try to loguearme in wp-login.php wordpres of 1.3 mu, not passing, use Internet Explorer, and only comes in that browser and not in firefox but users use IE more, please someone can help me to fix

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you not see the previous discussions on the subject when you searched the forums for your error?

Please take a second and review the readme file as well as the debugging script that it links to. There's a lot of good information and suggestions on what to do when you have a problem. Stuff like checking the error logs, providing a link to your install so others can see what is occurring, etc.

3. dunker
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello, I tried everything that you said I ah, I reinstalled the wordpress MU, but I do not have the solution follows me out:

ERROR: WordPress requires cookies but your browser does not support them or they are blocked.

--------------
    Pe recently installed wordpress MU, and I salio that mistake please someone who has this happened and what ah solved Should I do thank you.

4. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is the function file we're using in our main home theme. We're then doing a call to the function home_page_login_form(); where every you need it. It works for us.

5. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well works except for IE users. The comment that explains how to modify wp-login.php here explains what you have to modify.

We discussed it here for reference.

6. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks theapparatus, this problem was affecting me also.

7. t3ch33
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do you happen to use IE7? If so, it is more than likely IE's fault. I had to completely switch to Firefox because of cookie issues with IE7 with 2 sites that I need to use on a daily basis. Try reinstalling IE.

8. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

It was affecting me on Firefox, i have no clue if it affected IE also.

9. blouwagie
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

Here we have the same problem with an in house install.
    - Internet Explorer v6 has cookies enabled, but the error prevents the user from working
    - Firefox, 2.0.9? , same problem
    - Opera works fine

Problem is that Opera is only used by a few people.

Bart

10. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Many of us have no problems on IE or Firefox, but you never know... This could be something to do with your in-house install affecting the cookies somehow. I would test on another server or try debugging the code in wp-login.php yourself.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, I'm gonna go with MrBrian on this one. gotta be something on your end.

12. detted
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have two webs on a same host. Both have been working fine for a long time. Then suddenly one (2.3.1) is having the error for no reason after a minor wording changes to a couple .php files, and the other (2.1) continues working fine. Neither IE, Firefox, or Opera works on the defunct one. Just can't figure this one out, even with restoring the two original .php files.
    Amazing how many issues with it:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu9jiIaFHm3MByJml87UF?p=WordPress+requires+Cookies+but+your+browser+does+not+support+them+or+they+are+blocked.&ei=UTF-8&iscqry=&fr=sfp

13. akirtland
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just updated to 2.3.3 and I'm still have the same cookie error problem. I've tried many things, but none of them have worked. Many suggestions involve deleting blank lines. I see a lot of blank lines in all my files. I'm sure I don't understand what is meant by a "blank line"

I've tried commenting out the three lines people suggest.

I've tried using Opera, a different computer, and so on.

In addition I have no problem logging in during the daytime, usually, but just no luck early morning or late night. The times seem rather standard (10AM to 10PM I can log in without the error), which makes me think it's related to something on my system, or related to my hosting service (fatcow).

What gives? I'm a bit at the end of my rope.

~alex

14. t3ch33
    Posted 16 years ago #

akirtland, are you saying that you can't log in with any browser during the other hours?

you may want to try this suggestion from Starbuq: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=7073&page&replies=4

15. BinkyM
    Posted 16 years ago #

FWIW, this apparently isn't a browser thing. I'm using Safari under Leopard.

Every time I do a new WP install and run into the danged "You're not accepting cookies" thing (yes, I am, for originating sites!) again, I google the error, land here, then smack my head and go 'Right! Those freaking carriage returns!" then wp-login.php and remove the returns at the bottom of the file for the umpteenth time.

(I have anteretrograde amnesia, otherwise I'd just do it as a matter of course.)

How aggravating! It's *such* a tiny little thing; perhaps someone might paste a small, permanent box at the top of the support page explaining the fix, or, better yet, simply link to a fixed file for those unable to edit files themselves? This really ought not be such a large problem, and yet it looks as if it is for an awful lot of people.

16. marquisdupre
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree with BinkyM.

For fear of getting someone telling me "this has been discussed before and you should have searched before posting!" I am going to post anyway.

I encountered this error, and cannot get into my blog.
    I have read the above stuff and don't know what you guys are talking about. I shouldn't need to reinstall the whole thing, should I? I can update files, but which ones???

I looked at the wp-login.php file, and there wasn't any returns at the bottom to delete.

Can someone explain it in really easy terms? This is an important blog and I am unsure why this is giving me the error about cookies.

Thanks!

17. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Don't reinstall your whole blog. I highly doubt that was even what solved it for that ONE person.

What you should do is first check to see if the cookie is set in your browser. In firefox, it's in tools->options->privacy->show cookies. There are many reasons why cookies won't get set, but most common one is the server time being incorrect. Also, like another person encountered, they had their blog domain set wrong in WP, therefore the browser would refuse the cookie being sent to it.

To immediately remedy this problem (but not fix it), you can just remove the cookie check by opening up the wp-login.php file, looking for "If cookies are disabled we can't log in" and commenting out the next two lines by placing "//" in front of them, minus the quotes of course.

Also read this if you haven't. It's right on the front page:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=7176&page&replies=14

About this Topic