The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Install OK but 500 error on adding new blogs (8 posts)

1. graphility
    Posted 16 years ago #

Preamble:
    - I read the instructions and I searched the forum before posting.
    - I used Wordpress before, and am tech savvy enough but don't run my own web server: it's hosted on one.com

Hi,

I successfully installed WPMU on http://graphility.com, everything went smooth. Now, my problem is that upon adding a new blog from the admin interface, I cannot go to it and get a 500 Internal Error instead.

The blog seems to be created ok, as I see the new tables in the database. It's the access that fails. I presume it has something to do with the DNS config or the .htaccess, I *think* they are properly configured and I fear it's a permission problem at the hosting company level.

What are your thoughts or workarounds? Many thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

2. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have the wildcard DNS added by your host?

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

The 500 error will usually put a specific report in your webserver's error logs. Anything in there?

Also make sure mod_rewrite is working as well.

4. graphility
    Posted 16 years ago #

MrBrian, theapparatus:

Nothing related to this issue in the logs.

As to the DNS, this is what I got:

graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    *.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    iloblog.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    imap.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    logs.graphility.com CNAME One.com Network Yes Disable
    phpmyadmin.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    pop.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    pop3.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    stats.graphility.com CNAME One.com Network Yes Disable
    webc.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable
    http://www.graphility.com A One.com Network Yes Disable

About mod_rewrite, I don't know if and where I can change that...?

5. graphility
    Posted 16 years ago #

Update: I manually added a new folder in root called "hiddenson", then in the admin interface, I created a new blog called hiddenson(.graphility.com). I checked in the database and the tables have been created. However, nothing has been added to the hiddenson folder.

Should I add something manually too? Any workaround available?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You do not have to manually add folders to the server. Nothing will be added to them as the blogs are *virtual* they exist only in the database.

I'm betting the wildcard entry is not in the Apache httpd.conf file. It has to go there, too. Or at least check to make sure it is there.

7. graphility
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the help, guys.

I contacted my host and as nothing seemed to move at their side, deleted and reinstalled with the graphility.com/hiddenson option instead of hiddenson.graphility.com one. It works this way, it's not exactly as I wanted it, but well... There is little I can do if host doesn't want to change things at the server side...

Unless one of you has another brilliant idea (I'm monitoring this rss), let's call this case closed. Thanks again and happy authoring to you all!

8. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Recommend a VPS. Mine only costs $8/m with very decent specs, you can find good deals easily these days.
    webhostingtalk.com

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by graphility
  • Latest reply from MrBrian